chook behaviour gone weired

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wyandottewings, Apr 29, 2009.

1. wyandottewings

wyandottewings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    i have a moulting chook. she used to be a chook that was friendly.now that shes moulting i cant get near her. why is this happening?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Moulting can be painful for them. Kinda like us having a bad sunburn and not wanting to be touched.

3. wyandottewings

Apr 29, 2009
    thanks for the reply gritsar:).this is my chooks first moult.i love poultry and i am only just starting out:)

4. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    how long does moulting last? How come all of them don't seem to do it? Sorry for stealing your thread btw...

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Out of my 15 chickens, maybe 9 or 10 of them went thru a mini-moult in the 7 to 9 month range. I offered them lots of high protein treats (scrambled eggs, yogurt, dry cat food, black oil sunflower seeds) to help them grow new feathers quickly. Most were completely thru with the moult in 10 days.
    The first major moult around 18 months old can take considerably longer to run its course.

6. wyandottewings

Apr 29, 2009
    well my chooks a year ago had kinda like a mini moult. they had a couple of feathers her and there (it looked kind like the feather was twisted the wrong way- could of been a moult).they sort of looked like the chook in my avatar,see the feather sticking out near the wing? but the chooks have never had a proper moult like now.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  7. GoldenSilverLaced

GoldenSilverLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    East Central IL
    My chickens haven't gone through a full molt yet, but my parakeet has many times...he gets *incredibly* cranky, probably for the same reasons. My guess is that it may also be itchy, in addition to being painful. At least in my parakeet's case, he is also incredibly vain, so seeing himself in one of his many mirrors while molting just pisses him off [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by