Chook bottom question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Resi, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Resi

Resi Just Hatched

Dec 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

chook bottom question - my ISA Brown was given to me a while back (8 weeks I reckon) and has never laid an egg - she's a fully grown lady but not 'past it'. She has always had a very 'runny' bottom. Today was the second day I have found her inside the coop instead than being her usual bossy boots outside. She seemed a bit dopey, just chilled. I decided to wash her bottom and I noticed that the bulge below her cloaca. This itself looked fine no redness and no heat, but firm. I am not even sure if it's right so say bulge as it's not protruding, but it is firm. She isnot bother about me touching/holding her.

I have isolated her and given her warming medication and high protein food.

not sure is if it's coincidental but the 'free-loaders bunch' of which she's a member, have from yesterday delivered two eggs. now I wonder if the dopey behaviour is linked to egg laying?

Any other suggestions? thanks for reading.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    She may be egg-bound, and if she is, it is serious. Besides the high protein food and everything, she needs lots of calcium. What may also help is letting her sit in around waist deep water while massaging the bulge. Then, if she is egg-bound, the egg should pass soon.

3. Resi

Resi Just Hatched

Dec 10, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, but that I know - she's not egg bound. She's been like this for a fortnight and more- she would be dead by now. Something else!

4. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    Well, I would check into ascites. I don't think it's this, but it is another possibility...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by