Chook can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by msjenno, Jul 19, 2010.

1. msjenno

msjenno New Egg

Dec 26, 2009
    Hi Folks,
    My chook seems to be unable to walk further than a few steps. She will eat and drink if i bring her food and water but otherwise just sits in one spot. She does move around a bit - just a few steps in any direction but seems to be very unstable on her feet. Has been like this for over a week now - I keep expecting to find her dead every morning but she's hanging in there. What can I do to help! There are 2 other chooks with no problems at all. Her comb is very pale but has brightened a bit over the last day or two since I've been putting her out in a sunny spot in the garden. Please advise - I feel so helpless.
    Jenny

2. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Hey Jenny,

There's not much more you can do with this type of situation. As long as you've ruled out trauma or other foot/leg injury then it's most likely an internal problem.

What breed is she? How old is she?

The most important thing you can do right now is to make sure she is very comfortable and in a stress free environment. You could try adding some vitamins/electrolytes to her water. Probiotics to the water are also a great benefit to the body. These aren't cures but they give the hen's body the best chance it can to sort this issue through on it's own. Keep us posted and good luck to your poor hen.

Dan

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

My 8wk old has been like this for a week. I am giving her 0.2ml of Baytril twice a day and will continue for a while as she has seemed to get a little better but now has just stalled out. Good luck

4. msjenno

msjenno New Egg

Dec 26, 2009
    Thanks Guys,

She's an Isa Brown. I got them a year ago from a free range egg place so I guess they move them on after their main egg laying days are over. She must be a couple of years old. I thought that would be a good place to start learning about chooks but now not so sure.

She is still alive today and I'll give her another warm bath in a while. She seems to like them - especially the gentle blow drying with the hair dryer after. Are the probiotics/electrolites/Baytril you mentioned readily available from fodder stores etc or do I need to visit the vet for them?

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by