Chook Cha-Cha

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gsim, Feb 18, 2011.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Was wondering if any BYC'rs have any chooks that do what mine do. I have a flock of presently, 21 hens, 4 breeds. One breed is listed as Buff Comet by my supplier, Myer's Hatchery of Ohio.

If I scratch the backs of any one of those Buff Comets, as soon as I quit, they ruffle their feathers like a wet dog while they strut a few steps. [​IMG] It is really comical to see. None of the other three breeds that I have will do that. So, am really wondering if any of you have ever seen that behavior?

Gerry [​IMG]

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My RIRs do this. Since they really don't like being touched or held, I just thought it was the equivalent of giving me the finger.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Actually, the hen does it instinctavely to move the rooster sperm into their egg making tract. Your just being used as the big roo.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG] The Big Roo? [​IMG] Well if that is the case, then I have 3 other breeds that know nothing about repoductive habits. [​IMG] Seems that only my buff comets do that little cha-cha. Found out about it quite by accident one day, and have since tried to see if all do it and none do but the one breed. I show it to visitors and it is always good for a laugh when they do it.

Gerry [​IMG]

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]
    Well ur comets are ur love bugs then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by