1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chook with pink swollen legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Flossys Fowls, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Flossys Fowls

Flossys Fowls New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Can anyone advise me what to treat my chooks legs with. Her legs are quite pink and swollen. Her appetite hasn't changed nor her ability to lay. They look sore.

2. Sylie

Sylie Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    without a picture or more information it's hard to say what would be causing this. Do the legs feel hot to the touch? could she have gotten into a poisonous plant like poison ivy or sumac? Are the legs scaley or rashy? Does she limp? Does she appear to be in pain? Is she lethargic?Just off of what you have described here my first thought is a warm (not hot) epsom salt soak. Stick her in the sink with some warm water that has about a 1/2 cup of epsom salt in it and let her soak her legs until the water gets cool (don't let her get chilled). Do this once or twice a day, you should see some improvement within 3 days but I don't know anything else to tell you without more information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by