Chook with Pnuemonia... diagnosed

Tasha71

Chirping
Jan 21, 2016
Kent, UK
My 1yr old girl had breathing probs over a few days, (open beak breathing leading to hoarseness) and the vet has prescribed Tylan in her water... she is ok in herself, but I have not witnessed her drinking. I have managed to syringe water her a little, she is eating her pellets, but I need to get the medication into her. She is in the house, warm, but I am wondering if the powder Tylan can be added to any food she wants in small doses?? Her current water dose is 0.5g :1ltr water.

I hate to hear her breathing so poorly.. her comb etc are still bright as normal, and she is active and perky considering her situation..

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't do it. It is extremely difficult to properly dose when mixing with feed.
Chickens have to drink at least twice a day so she will drink eventually.
Tylan or any antibiotic isn't an instant cure. Make sure you don't discontinue prematurely. How many days did the vet tell you to dose her?
How long did they say you had to discard her eggs?

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. It is extremely difficult to properly dose when mixing with feed.
Chickens have to drink at least twice a day so she will drink eventually.
Tylan or any antibiotic isn't an instant cure. Make sure you don't discontinue prematurely. How many days did the vet tell you to dose her?
How long did they say you had to discard her eggs?
Thanks for the reply.. fortunately she is much much better today. I hardly slept last night listening to her breathing (she is in my bedroom :p), and when it was quiet this morning I panicked, but there she was, preening away and breathing as if normal. 3 day course of treatment, 0 days discard once the course is complete. She has not laid for a few days anyway.

My other hens are also being treated just in case, but none of them have shown any clinical signs of the problem. How long should I keep her in the warm for? I don't want her out in the cold until she is fully recovered.

Thanks again.

My 1yr old girl had breathing probs over a few days, (open beak breathing leading to hoarseness) and the vet has prescribed Tylan in her water... she is ok in herself, but I have not witnessed her drinking. I have managed to syringe water her a little, she is eating her pellets, but I need to get the medication into her. She is in the house, warm, but I am wondering if the powder Tylan can be added to any food she wants in small doses?? Her current water dose is 0.5g :1ltr water.

I hate to hear her breathing so poorly.. her comb etc are still bright as normal, and she is active and perky considering her situation..

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Many people use Tylan 50 injectable, which can be given orally or by injection. It contains 50 mg per ml, and the dosage is 1/2 ml under 5 pounds, and 1 ml for 5 pounds and over, given twice daily for 3-5 days. Antibiotics will only treat gram positive bacteria or mycoplasma infections. Your vet could test her to see if it is a virus, bacterial, or even a fungal infection. That is the problem with respiratory diseases, not knowing what you are treating. Many people cull for respiratory illnesses, or cull and get a necropsy by the state vet to find out what it is. Since respiratory diseases can be contagious, and remain in the flock while any of those birds exposed those birds are alive, treating with antibiotics is a controversial subject.

Back
Top Bottom