chook wont get out of nest.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shazza07, Jan 30, 2012.

1. shazza07

shazza07 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Hello, i have a roughly 7 month old pekin chicken, just started laying 10-12 days ago, she lay and egg every day after laying she would come back out of nestbox. she has been in the nestbox now for roughly 4 days and no eggs ( she has been noisy last 2 mornings like she is trying to lay) i thought possible broodines but would she be trying to lay still??? singing her egg song but no eggs, she will only come out of nestbox if i take her out. she does not look sick ( no ruffled feathers or panting etc...). any idea??????

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If she's not egg bound, she's probably broody.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Is she walking like a penguin?

Sometimes new layers have some kinks in the plumbing that need to be worked out.

4. shazza07

shazza07 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    No she is not walking like a penguin, I do think she is broody but is it normal for this to happen so soon after starting to lay? i am new to chicken keeping so i want to make sure she is ok.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh yeah. I have an older bird that has spent most of her adult life being broody. I swear she went broody right after she laid her first egg, and it has continued for years. I call her my chronic broody.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by