1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chooks are off the lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedKell, Apr 5, 2016.

1. RedKell

RedKell Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    North Western Australia
    Hi All,
    My girls seem to be off the lay for the first time ever, and I'm not sure why? They are about 2 years old. I was getting between 4-6 eggs daily (6 chooks), but for the last few weeks I am only getting one every few days. It's been real hot lately (mid to high 30sC) but this is Karratha, and it's always hot. They kept laying all through last summer.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. RedKell

Jun 24, 2014
    North Western Australia
    OK, thanks. I'll have a read. 4 of them are Isa Browns. I thought they lasted longer than that?

4. RedKell

Jun 24, 2014
    North Western Australia
    Does any body have any other suggestions? I couldn't find too much in the other threads. I've only gotten 3 eggs from them since I first posted this :( I'm a bit worried about the poor girls [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The heat can have an effect...even if it didn't last year.
    Did they run out of water...even for a few hours? That can suspend laying, especially in hot weather.
    We are just past the equinox, so maybe they are slowing down and getting ready to molt?
    Do you free range...maybe laying out in range area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by