Chooks not warming up to treats....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Curlita, May 28, 2008.

1. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I checked the ol' treat chart in the interest of finding something to get the gals to warm up to me. They are 4 weeks and 3 months old and haven't been handled much. So far the treats are getting a cool reception. I'm taking it a bit personally...

Strawberries: everyone sampled one briefly, and then they trampled them.

Yogurt: saw two chicks sample it briefly. Came back later and they had trampled it.

Corn meal: threw a small amount in and they seemed to like pecking for it.

Is it me? Is it the presentation? Do they not like the service? [​IMG]

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I haven't tried this myself, but I heard mealworms and ramen noodles (cut into worm-length sizes) do the trick.

3. RayP

RayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Gainesville Florida
    I did not get a warm reception at first with treats so I fixed up a dish for treats so they do not get trampled, Started with small amount bread and they picked at it some but I gave them a little each day and after a week they have really got into the treats, now they accociate me with treats and ever time I go in the coop they gather around me to see what I have, guess they just take a while they are bird brains after all. [​IMG]

4. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    My one weekers go bonkers for hard boiled egg yokes!!! Then mealworms, although they don't get them often. But the eggs were a big hit right away!!!! Steph

5. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    I have tried a few things.

Strawberries = No
    Yogurt = Maybe

I wiggled some spaghetti in front of the 5 weeks olds tonight and got some interest. I know they love hunting bugs. I would give them something that moves or wiggle something in front of them.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Mealworms are always a great treat. You want to make sure the size fits the age. Giant worms for big kids, little mealworms for little guys. i had a hard time getting my little kids to warm up to yogurt until i dropped a little mealworm on top of it. They got a taste of the yogurt while fishing out the worm and now love the yogurt.

Mine don't like strawberries, but do like watermelon and cantaloupe. Found out tonight that they do not like apricots. They make a funny face and shake their heads, like "ick!".

7. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I have dairy loving chickens, maybe because I live in WI. lol. . . They love cottage cheese and shredded cheese.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm sure your service is exemplary. Don't worry, they're probably bad tippers anyway.

9. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Mine go crazy for boiled egg. The first time, they were a little hesitant and I sprinkled some chick crumbles on top of it. By the second time they were trampling each other to get to it.

I also sprinkled the chick food on top of the yogurt and they ate it. Some stood in the dish and got it all over their feet. Then others were eating it off their feet.

I think it takes a few times for them to get it.

10. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I tried some leftover oatmeal with crumbles on it and that seemed to hit the spot.

I'll keep trying new things... it's funny, one chicken is consistently the first one to the treat dish to check things out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by