Chooks so loud this morning!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachel'sFlock, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

It has been a rainy 19-week-old birthday morning for my ladies, so I have been lingering in my warm bed. The bedroom window faces the coop, and is about 50 ft from the coop door.
    Normally I can't hear them at all, even when the window is open. But this morning, I thought there was a crime in progress out there!
    Boc boc became BOC BOC BAGAWWWWWWK! Sounded like someone was screaming!
    I raced out there, thinking we had a predator afoot (worst case scenerio) or someone was laying an egg (best case scenerio) only to find them all completely safe and utterly egg-free.
    The minute I opened the door, 4 out of 6 squatted down immediately. During my inspection, I petted them all (each one perfectly fine) and in turn, they all got squatty. This is a first.
    Could this be the fabled "egg song" practice I have heard tell of?
    Since I was out there, it has come up and died down about 3 times, each time lasting about 5-10 minutes.
    Hoping this is a sign of eggs to come.
    Anybody have any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance, as always

Bright Blessings!

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The squatting is a good sign that you should be seeing eggs within two weeks. On the noise, my hens start making all kinds of cacophony the minute they see a shred of light, because they want OUT . . . NOW! Very annoying when you're trying to get one more minute of sleep.

They also get going during the day for a variety of reasons. Maybe someone laid an egg, maybe someone is thinking of laying an egg, maybe someone is in someone else's favorite nest box, maybe a fly flew by.

i've personally never heard of the egg song practice.

3. Rachel'sFlock

Thank you, ESF, I am cheered by the possibility of eggs soon, as 3 have been squatting for a week already, now.
    That is so true about the varied reasons it could be, including, my fave: "maybe a fly flew by".
    Hah!
    Thanks again

4. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    We have a group of hens who should start laying anyday now. One of them has been obnoxiously loud since about 6 am today (they all seem to be on edge since someone has started laying this week and several are squatting). I kept going out to check on them, gave them food, reassurance, checked for eggs, etc. It wasn't quite the eggs song, just noise. I noticed she was pacing in and out of the nest boxes, then along the side of the coop like she wanted out to go hide an egg in the bushes. My husband gave her more bedding in the nest boxes, and within about 30 min we had an egg waiting for us! She seems much calmer (and quieter!) now.

So who knows what they want in those little brains of theirs....good luck figuring it out!

5. It has been my experience that when they start getting loud and squatting within one week you will find your first "Golden" egg. My pullets always get loud within one week of the first egg. Get ready...good times ahead.

6. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I had 3 egg songs 2 weeks before I got my first egg. Just random 10 second songs. I'm pretty sure mine were practicing!

7. Rachel'sFlock

thank you, everybody. this is fantastic news!
    Egg On!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by