chooks wont eat much

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zuluman, Oct 3, 2007.

1. zuluman

zuluman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    hi :
    total newbie to chooks... i got 4 hens just 4 days ago .
    there giving us about 2 eggs a day.
    they dont eat much of the pellet food , should i worry about this?. we are feeding leftovers and they are eating those . .. and they are not scratching around in the dirt as much today . do i need to wait a week before i let them free range the back yard ..thx

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hi! And welcome!

Be careful with the treats because it will throw off the vitamins/minerals/protein quotients for them. Maybe they are filling up on those? I know, my flock loves treats, too! Just give in moderation.

I like to give my group a week or so before I let them out to free-range, just so I'm sure they know where to go when it gets dark. I'm sure others will have different opinions on that [​IMG] but it has worked for me.

Good luck with your new ladies!

-Meghan

3. zuluman

zuluman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    thanks for your help . i will wait a week before i let them out , that will give me time to patch up the fence all aroung.. i hope they dont fly over it cause theres a large park next door, and il never catch them. .also i will not feed as much leftovers to encourage them to eat the pellet food.. thx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by