1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Choose a Shelter Dog - Video Link

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Nov 3, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I heard this song on the radio today while I was driving to work and I was sobbing when I pulled into the parking lot. It is very touching and I thought I would share. The link below includes the song with pictures of shelter dogs who were neglected and abused. If you are a big softy like me, you may want to grab some tissues before starting the video.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Please do not turn this into a debate. I posted this link because it was shared with me and it touched me. If you feel the need to post something in a negative light or start a fight, click the red "x" at the top of the screen.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. when my yorkie died, first place I started looking was pet finder. well I found a pet. she claimed it was a yorkie, what I got was a mutt that i paid $300.00 for I could have bought at the humane shelter for $65.00. Lots of these places are a rip off. they show something that will break your heart, I'm not saying all are rip offs but if you know any one who is looking for a dog have them ask whoever they talk to for references, and vet and then CALL THEM wish I had listend to my own advice. marrie [​IMG]

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Next time you look for Yorkie, you may want to try looking at a breed rescue.

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    The ONLY way to fight this: Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter Spay and Neuter

CAN'T SAY IT E N O U G H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    The salution isn't spay and neuter. Its to take better care of your animals so they don't end up like that.

6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Touching video. I like the song.

I think anyone who needs a pet should try to adopt an adult animal if they can. There are so many out there that need homes. Some shelters even have CHICKENS!

I got both my dog and cat from the SPCA. The dog is wonderful, and he looks a bit like a golden retriever x irish setter. He is an all around great family dog and very smart. He was maybe a year old when we got him. There are pics of him on few different of my BYC pages and he is now 4 years old.

Our cat was middle aged when we got her from the SPCA. I reminded the kids we were saving a life by adopting an older cat. Kittens and puppies always find homes around here. Gracie is very easy going and isn't fazed by the chaos of our household. She is very tolerant of the kids dressing her up, she plays with them, and she is friendly to everyone who visits. We wouldn't trade her for anything. Turns out, at some point in her life she was shot with a pellet and still has it under her skin, some people can be so cruel. I have always wondered what kind of life she had before coming to stay with us, but I know she is happy with us and feels safe. She never leaves our yard. She is sleeping next to me as I type this.

Pics of our Rescue cat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like the SPCA which runs a facility in conjunction with my city's Animal control. It is very clean and on about 4 acres; there is room for the animals to get out and play when you are meeting them. The cats have their own large facility indoors that they are free to roam around all day long. People can sit and visit with the cats within that space. I would sometimes go there just to be around cats when I was still mourning the death of my older cat lost to cancer. I would go in once a week or so and I spent about 4 months visiting before I went home with a cat. That is where Gracie convinced me she was the right cat for us.

The cat was $100. The dog was $150. If you adopt a pet at the county animal control facility it is only 25% of that, but other local rescues I found on petfinder.com are $200 and up.

I think rescued pets are the best! Thanks for posting the video link! It is a great way to get the message out about pets in need of homes.

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm sorry, but for cats I will always go with free.

8. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for sharing...

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Wow, you guys! Please don't start any fights. I like the song, I like the video and if you don't, then you don't have to respond. Sorry to get snipy, but it's the truth.

10. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    This is our cat from the SPCA.

Oscar!
    [​IMG]

When we adopted him he was skinny and had a bad case of ear mites and a poor coat. Now he's fat and healthy. [​IMG] He's great with the chickens, too, completely ignores them, even when they come right up to him. LOL he runs away from my big Cornish X girls. [​IMG]

The adoption fees at the SPCA go towards the spaying/neutering and the vaccinations and deworming each animal they bring in gets provided with. The only thing I don't agree with at all, though, is that the price for purebred dogs is several hundred dollars more than for mutts. I think, a rescue is a rescue, and asking more for purebreds just doesn't seem right. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by