Choosing a breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GreatBreeder, Feb 12, 2017.

1. GreatBreeder

GreatBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    Hi! I'm new to the forum (and poultry) and wanted to keep ducks and chickens. Going to get an American Game Bantam rooster and 1-2 hens. The rest of the flock will consist of ducks and Easter eggers. Problem- I don't know what breed. I need one compatible with chickens and does not need a swimming area.

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Ducks don't necessarily need a swimming area - they do need water deep enough that they can dunk their head in. However, ducks love to swim... I highly suggest a kiddie pool, if not in their pen than outside of it, so if you let them out of their pen, they can roam your backyard and swim in the pool - but this is not a requirement.
    Here's something that you might find helpful in way of breeds:

http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=14567687
    Hope I helped!

3. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    That was very helpful! But I had heard Indian Runners would rather be running around eating bugs than being in water. Correct me if I'm wrong, because if I am then I'll get the kiddie pool.

4. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    I also read the article, so I'm thinking about Welsh Harelquin as they are good show quality and very calm.

5. sheetmetaltom

sheetmetaltom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    i have 1 indian runner and 2 blue swedes, the indian runner is the first one in the water and if not will climb on top of the others to get in. dont have pools. just 2 24" horse feeders that i fill with water. everyone has to be in the same one at the same time. if one switches the other 2 follow right away. apparently swimming alone is out.

6. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    Cool and nice to know! Guess I was wrong about the Indian Runners

7. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Yeah I've never had Indian Runners, and have no experience with them. But ducks are individuals over breed sometimes. Maybe a lot Indian Runners don't like water as much, but a lot of them (As shown by @sheetmetaltom ) do?
    And I would get a pool if you can. You don't have to, but ducks love it! The work of filling it up and dumping it out will be well worth the smile on their bills!!

8. wallawu

wallawu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    I'd look into Silver Appleyards. Metzer just started selling them (wish they'd started last September), so now you can buy fewer of them that are already sexed. Everyone else sells them in larger groups of straight runs. They're bigger than Welsh Harlequins, and apparently are great foragers and layers. As far as personalities, our female Black Swedish is the favorite. The Cayugas and Welsh Harlequins are a little skittish and there's one of each that is VERY loud. In the warmer months when the grass is growing we put a kiddie pool out a few times a week in different spots and dump it at night. Make sure you move it around if you do this or you'll kill the grass underneath in no time.

9. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    Thanks!

10. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    I think I'll expand my chicken flock next year by adding some silver appleyards.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by