Choosing a breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ReignamdLuna, Jun 12, 2017.

1. ReignamdLuna

ReignamdLuna Just Hatched

Apr 15, 2017
    I was looking online and saw that I could purchase day old ducklings, I was wanting to know what your experience was and if there is a specific website you recommend? Also what breed beside Perkins that won't fly?

Thanks in advance

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Is it Spring yet?? Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Lots of people buy their ducks from Metzer Farms (link below). Many, many happy & satisfied customers. There's a duck breed comparison chart that can be very helpful and lots of good info on their site as well.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/index.cfm

Their are 3 breeds that can fly: Mallards, Calls & Muscovy. Most domesticated ducks are simply too heavy to fly.

Good luck & welcome to BYC!

ReignamdLuna likes this.
  3. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Khaki campbells are great ducks to have

ReignamdLuna likes this.
  4. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    I got my girls from Metzer, a WH and a Cayuga. The folks at Metzer are incredibly nice. There was a postal service screw up (very rare) that held my hatchlings up right to the end of the 3-day shipping priority mail guarantee and that was stressful. Next time I would opt for overnight.

P.S. I chose WH and Cayuga bc I wanted flightless birds....my Cayuga can and does fly but it's been more entertaining than anything else

ReignamdLuna likes this.
  5. Evergray

Evergray Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2017
    I love my Silver Appleyards but I think they are already sold out from the Metzer website (I didn't get mine there) I'd be interested in Cayugas next after my Saxonys

ReignamdLuna likes this.
  6. Mommapig

Mommapig Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2017
    I love my buffs and I have a blue swedish and Cayuga!
    Received mine from Metzers as well.

7. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Is it Spring yet?? Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    My order was (all female) 2 Welshies, 1 Cayuga & 1 Buff. The Cayuga has the most personality. The Buff is a crab. The Welshies are sweet, quiet, very pretty.

gal5150 likes this.
  8. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    right now i have two Swedish ducks, there scared of me, but there nice ducks. they don't fly (even though i have an enclosed run for them), there dual purpose, so they lay about 100-150 eggs per year and the drakes make good meat (even though i only have hens at the moment), i think if they where more tame they would be good ducks for pets, (mine are supposed to be pets)

also am getting a runner duck, as i just like them. but if your going for eggs i would recommend either runner, welsh harlequin or Campbell ducks

not sure where you live (if its USA or else where) as if your in Canada i could help you out (more western Canada).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by