Choosing a breed

ReignamdLuna

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2017
I was looking online and saw that I could purchase day old ducklings, I was wanting to know what your experience was and if there is a specific website you recommend? Also what breed beside Perkins that won't fly?

Thanks in advance

Debs Flock

Crossing the Road
Apr 28, 2015
Jefferson County, MO
I was looking online and saw that I could purchase day old ducklings, I was wanting to know what your experience was and if there is a specific website you recommend? Also what breed beside Perkins that won't fly?

Thanks in advance

Lots of people buy their ducks from Metzer Farms (link below). Many, many happy & satisfied customers. There's a duck breed comparison chart that can be very helpful and lots of good info on their site as well.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/index.cfm

Their are 3 breeds that can fly: Mallards, Calls & Muscovy. Most domesticated ducks are simply too heavy to fly.

Good luck & welcome to BYC!

gal5150

Songster
Mar 30, 2016
California
I got my girls from Metzer, a WH and a Cayuga. The folks at Metzer are incredibly nice. There was a postal service screw up (very rare) that held my hatchlings up right to the end of the 3-day shipping priority mail guarantee and that was stressful. Next time I would opt for overnight.

P.S. I chose WH and Cayuga bc I wanted flightless birds....my Cayuga can and does fly but it's been more entertaining than anything else

Evergray

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
I love my Silver Appleyards but I think they are already sold out from the Metzer website (I didn't get mine there) I'd be interested in Cayugas next after my Saxonys

itsasmallfarm

Crowing
Oct 27, 2016
canada
right now i have two Swedish ducks, there scared of me, but there nice ducks. they don't fly (even though i have an enclosed run for them), there dual purpose, so they lay about 100-150 eggs per year and the drakes make good meat (even though i only have hens at the moment), i think if they where more tame they would be good ducks for pets, (mine are supposed to be pets)

also am getting a runner duck, as i just like them. but if your going for eggs i would recommend either runner, welsh harlequin or Campbell ducks

not sure where you live (if its USA or else where) as if your in Canada i could help you out (more western Canada).

Top Bottom