Choosing a breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KauAnnie, Jul 11, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    I have 1 EE that is about 12 weeks old and 2 silkies that are 5 and 6 weeks old. We just extended our coop and run so the total area is about 125 square feet, maybe more. So my question is what breed should I get? We are looking to get 3 hens, a little older like 6-12 weeks.

Here are the breeds I have chosen:
    Maran
    Jersey giant
    Delaware
    Wyandotte
    New ham red
    Orpington
    Sussex
    Naked neck turken
    Rhode island red

I have picked them because they lay a lot of eggs and/or large eggs. I have a 10 year old who plays with the chickens and I baby sit a lt of young kids so I want a breed that is kind. If possible, I also want them to not fly too high because my fence is 4.5 feet high.

Any experiences? Advice? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    u could get golden reds from reiches poultry farm. they are very tame and may lots of eggs and start layin early

3. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:Do they ship them? I live in Hawaii so that's the only way I'd get them.

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Since they will be close to kids I would say Wyandotte, Orp. or Sussex. as they are less flighty and have fewer tempermental issues. The Wyandotte will be slower to start to lay than the other two but will lay longer, from our experience. Orps are great birds begin to lay fairly early and have a good temperment and are not flighty they will lay a larger egg than the Wyandotte but will not lay as long into life.

5. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky

they do ship they are very cheap..... but u will have to wait a while bc they sell out very fast!!!! [​IMG]

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Orpington, Bared rock, nice girls...love mine [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:Should I get them as chicks so they tame or at an older age are they still tameable?

8. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui

they do ship they are very cheap..... but u will have to wait a while bc they sell out very fast!!!! [​IMG]

What is the website? Thanks!! Do they come as less then a week old or more?

9. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:How much do you have and how much eggs do you get a week? Any pics? Thanks!

10. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I have a lot of different breeds including all of those you mentioned along with a 9, 7 ,3 and 1 year old children of my own,
    these girls are all so nice especially the sussex and orpingtons they would be first on my list..I would get babies for sure

the chickens are all very kind.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by