Choosing a Male

Discussion in 'Quail' started by teradragon, Jan 31, 2014.

1. teradragon

teradragon Chillin' With My Peeps

So I am going to halve the numbers of my quail (A&M) in the next couple of weeks. I need to choose a male to keep. I want to keep one which is all white (in my avatar). He isn't albino, but will he be fertile? The only reason is that he is mild mannered and not aggressive. The other big boy in the group is showing signs of aggression already and I don't think he will make a good cage mate.

Any experience welcome!

Thanks.

2. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I have two very docile roosters that are infact fertile, I would stick with your white one that you like.

3. teradragon

Awesome. I was concerned with the fact that he was all white. It won't have an effect will it?

4. sal garcia

sal garcia New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Is it a male or female?

5. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Looks like a female

6. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I dont think it will, I have one pure white hen.

7. sal garcia

sal garcia New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    [​IMG] male or female?

8. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Introduce the roo to the hens and watch his behavior. He will eventually do his thing.

James

9. teradragon

They are all in together already James, I have 5 male and 3 female (just going off noise they make and behavior) I will do (or attempt to) vent sex. Is 7 weeks old enough for that?

10. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    7 weeks should be enough time. What I've done with my roos, is I'll stand patiently by the cage, and when a roo stretches out his neck and crows, I'll reach in and grab him out. I have A&M's, so it's easy to mark them with a sharpie down the middle of their back. I know you have A&M's as well, but other varieties with dark feathers can be banded by a zip tie on the leg (not too tight). It can be banded loosely so as not to cut off any circulation and cut into the quails leg, but not too loose that it falls off. Once you have your males banded (or color coded), you can observe them for several days to determine which one will be your stud. Pull out non-studs and put them into a separate cage until you are 100% positive that your roo isn't going to be aggressive. Keeping all of the males in the same cage, the roos will fight amoungst themselves an not pay any attention to the hens.
    Initially, all of my guys were weighed, and the largest were retained (anything less than 14oz became dinner). One word of caution though, you may consider keeping all of your roos until you are sure of the temperment of your stud. I delayed culling until I was sure mine wasn't too aggressive, and I'm glad I did because the quail I nicknamed T-Rexas A&M injured the wing of one of my hens, and he ended up tasting great with grilled mushrooms.
    James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by