choosing a plucker

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by roco123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. roco123

roco123 New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    I am very new to the game with a desire to learn.

I am looking into buying a plucker, but I have no idea where to start.

I have seen several from plucker being contained in container and an open plucker with feathers going everywhere.

I am interested in contained plucker with rubber fingers and hose around top of barrel for water spray.

I am looking to do 500 to 1000 chickens and about 250 turkeys a year with doing about 50 chickens at a time.

I would appreciate any insight one can offer such as quality brand, longevity, things I should be lookng for, pros and cons of various machines, etc.

Thank you for your help in matter.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Welcome to BYC! You have come to the right place and section to get answers.
    Myself and many others on here have built a Whizbang picker. It is a drum picker like you said you wanted. You can buy the instruction book for the picker online, just Google it. Depending on where you get your material and what you have on hand, you will be looking at spending between $450-$700. The motor is the most expensive item. Mine was $180, new in the box. If built correctly, they work great. You can pluck 3 birds at a time in less than a minute. I did over 600 this past year and it plucked the last one just as well as the first.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    We use the Poultry Man plucker. We pluck everything from Quail to Turkeys.

Have done thousands of birds no problems.

I like the plastic tub and discharge chute.

After 6 years we may change some of the fingers.

just my.02

4. roco123

roco123 New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    Thank you for advice, and I will check into them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by