Choosing a roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rookiefarmers, Jan 14, 2014.

1. rookiefarmers

rookiefarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Montana
    Hi guys! I am getting a large batch of easter eggers straight run this spring. We plan to keep one rooster. I plan to use him with all our girls, who are all large breed winter hardy breeds, (barred rock, Orpington, austrlorp, RIR, NH Red, jersey giants, brahmas). I know NOTHING about breeding. I am not interested in showing or anything. I just wondered what I should look for characteristically/color etc to be the best for breeding to make olive eggers, blue/green layers etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

2. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Hi, welcome. I'm sort of a newbie with this form although I have been around chickens for a long time. Sure wish you were in Florida. I have the most beautiful and wonderful temperament Easter egg or rooster. He loves his hands and he's a wonderful daddy too. I have decided to go into Orpingtons so I am looking to place him with someone. I'm here to tell you that not all Easter egg or roosters have a great temperament. Some are extremely dominant and protect their hens a little over the top I believe. It's probably that they weren't handled enough. When he was little we handled him a lot he was played with and socialized. He came from the person that had beautiful roosters and hens and was going out of the business. I got him when he was five weeks old. I guess because he is so beautiful and calm we pick him up all the time so he has a wonderful temperament and I do believe it makes a difference. If you're getting straight run going to have to keep those roosters long enough to see what type of temperament they have or just pick out one that you like at maybe around 17 weeks and let the spoiling begin!!! :lol:

3. rookiefarmers

rookiefarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Montana
    Thank you! I know that roosters can be very hit or miss as far as their temperament goes. We will pick for their attitude as much as their looks. :) we are thinking about narrowing them down to a top 4 then letting them get older before we make a final cut. We will have plenty of hens for more than one roo so until we make a real pick, they can shown us their stuff. Lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by