Choosing a rooster...

Quirkyfusion

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
I currently have Cuckoo Marans, Blue Laced Wyandottes, Rhode Island Blues, and 1 buff Orpington. My goal is a small flock, but various colored eggs (daughter is an artist and “has plans”). I’m reading up on basic genetics but some things still elude me....could someone tell me if these thoughts/assumptions are accurate....
*It would be more *efficient* to have a blue egg gene carrying rooster than it would to have multiple blue egg laying hens, plus I don’t want all blue eggs so this give me flexibility.
*I was offered a legbar roo split to opal. Based on my (limited) reading he should carry the blue egg gene...but one or two? And how does the lavender gene affect both eggs and chick colors? If he were bred with any of my “blue” hens...wouldn’t it produce black chicks?...that carry the lavender gene?
*I originally thought about buying a dozen cream legbar eggs and hatching them for a (hopefully) cream leg-bar roo, one hen, and selling the remaining chicks/pullets. Should I stick to this and forego the split to opal? I kinda feel like that might be getting me deeper into genetic stuff than my current knowledge allows.

Maybe I just answered my own question....

He should carry two copies of the blue egg shell if he was bred right. The lavender gene will not affect his offspring at all unless you bred him to a lavender hen, then 50% of his offspring would be lavender. If bred to a hen that doesn’t express or carry lavender, 50% of them will be carriers of the gene but not show it. Bred to a blue hen, his offspring will be the same as a normal legbar; blue or black barred with some leakage.

Back
Top Bottom