choosing a rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silverchick, Apr 6, 2012.

1. silverchick

silverchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    north of Eden
    what are favored breeds of rooster to keep around (for fertilized eggs)? a docile nature & a rooster that makes a good cross for egg production ...I currently have RSL pullets & will be adding some Golden Comets & maybe some GL Wyandottes ...thoughts? TYVM!

also ...kind of another subject ...I plan on picking up a few of the Comets today - we got the RSL several days ago it okay to just put them altogether at this point? They are all pullets of about the same age (7-10 days). Thanks again
  2. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    When I was a kid I was tormented by a HUGE White Rock Roo and a RIR roo. Those A*$$ H*[email protected]$ would always attack every time they saw me. I was SO glad when my Dad dispatched those SOB's to the pot. I have never enjoyed a batch of chicken and dumplings as much as that particular batch. So this time around I got 2 Buff Orps and 2 Australorps. Buff Orps are good egg producers and a Australorp hen holds the world record at 364 eggs in one year. Ive read the are good Roo's and very friendly and docile towards their owners. I wont be able to tell for sure until they are adults, but I got 4 so I can chose the best 1.
    I think 7 and 10 day old would be fine to put together. They are too young to know the difference. Chicks in the same clutch can be 3 days apart in age.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. TinaSwarr

TinaSwarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    I put them together up to 3 weeks apart but I do have a seperate brooder I move bigger ones to once they start trying to fly..../... and butchgood.. I know what you mean I am tormented by a rooster daily, that will be one good pot of stew when I find a replacement for him.
  4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I actually don't have a rooster yet, but I'm planning to get one this year. The one I am most interested in is a Buff Orpington. I knew someone with this type of rooster and he was the friendliest rooster they had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by