choosing a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silverchick, Apr 8, 2012.

1. silverchick

silverchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    north of Eden
    Right now we have 12 pullets - a few gold comets & the rest red sex link ...I want to add a few B. Australorps, Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex & Wyandottes ...I was thinking of an Orp. I want a docile roo but wouldn't mind if he were also a real beauty. Most important is temperament though & a good cross for these as layers ...any thoughts or is Orp the best choice? Hoping for a few replies ...seems like I usually get one response then my post gets buried ...so please, if you have a thought - I'm a newbie & would greatly appreciate a few suggestions & a few various points of view. Thanks so much!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. Since you are going to have such a wide variety of hens that makes the decission a bit more interesting (especially if you hatch or that orp hen goes broody) I think you need a "middle of the road rooster" Not too docile or he may not be able to handle the head hen very well and get picked on himself.
    My pers. experience with wyandotte roos is they are too aggressive and with orp roos they are too mild mannered (just thinking out loud). I would probably think about a Welsummer, Sussex, Delaware maybe. Something along those lines. A Welsummer roo is beautiful IMPO and is usually pretty good with the girls but not so aggressive that he will peck you in the rear when you bend over, LOL And likewise with the Sussex (I have had both) The Delaware I had was great with covering the girls and the girls really liked him more than any I have had......but he never sounded the alarm when our local hawks swoop for a close look and that made me nervous about him not wanting to protect his girls. Of course any that you choose can always be different than what the breed standard might indicate. I would stay away from RIR's !!!!

3. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't have alot of personal experience but I think bairo is right on the money. I just got my chicks 2 weeks ago...I got Araucanas, Lavender Orpingtons and BLR Wyandottes. I am pretty certain I have already "located" a rooster! At 2 weeks old I have a BLR Wyandotte that is VERY bossy!!!!! Anyone starts getting excited he runs right over there and jumps up and flaps at them. He seems pretty aggresive. I also think I have located an Orpington Roo it is bigger sized and started getting a comb before anyone else. It doesn't like being handled very much. But doesn't have any rooster behavior......yet. If for nothing else my post will bring yours back up to maybe get more from others with more experience. Good Luck!

4. silverchick

Apr 4, 2012
    north of Eden
    thanks folks ...yes, I am giving serious condsideration to a Welsummer roo ...a beautiful bird and sounds about right - thanks you the input

5. 1HotChickenMama

1HotChickenMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Michigan
    My Ameracauna rooster is a good protector of the ladies, but a huge jerk to be around. Not sure if that's common for that breed but thought I'd share. I agree my Orp boys are very mild in comparison. I'm still fairly new too so I'm learning along with u.

6. californiagirl

californiagirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Yucaipa, CA
    We just figured out that our Speckled Sussex is a cockerel, not a pullet, so I have been researching the ideal rooster breed as well. From what I've read, lots of people have had good luck with them. And they're beautiful too!

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Not on your list, but I have a beautiful dominique roo. You can see him in ny avatar. Fantastic with the ladies, sounds the alarm for threats (even stood his ground for a hawk while he sent the girls running, and thank god I was close by). He can be a bit of a punk with people other than me, but he's not crazy like my black Australorp was.

8. silverchick

Apr 4, 2012
    north of Eden
    I'm enjoying the comments! TYVM!!

9. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    If the intention is to have a dual purpose flock (eggs and meat) then look for a large breed to put over your hens. (Orps, Rocks, Brahmas, or Cornish). If just a watch dog, noise maker then look for disposition. Good Luck

10. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    I would recomend getting a rooster as a chick. It could grow up with you and get to know you better. You should get a Barred Rock chick, too. They are very friendly ( I have some.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by