choosing a rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stetson1, Oct 29, 2014.

1. stetson1

stetson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Tn
    So my chick's are almost all grown up now and picking roosters from hens is easy for me now I ordered 100 birds am got 107 of just large egg laying breeds (a bargain mix) and out of the mix I have identified I have black astroloupes, cinnamon queens barred rocks dominques golden laced wydonettes buff orphantons and some either cherry eggers or very odd looking Rhode islands ........my question is out of the mix what rooster would you keep.........

2. stetson1

Jan 29, 2014
    Tn
    Feeding this morning I totally forgot the light brahmas

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Depends on temperament of the roosters. I have butchered many very pretty roosters because they were too aggressive for the flock. I want my roosters to be protective, but not have a lot of unnecessary roughness. It doesn't help for my hens, (or myself) to be afraid of the rooster. Also look for issues that would pass down to next generation. I.E. wry tail, crooked toe, etc.

4. stetson1

Jan 29, 2014
    Tn
    Ok I know what crook toe is but what's wry tail? A lesson is in order

5. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Wry tail is basically just a crooked tail. I hatched out a bunch of mutts from our flock this past spring & that is how I got my lesson on wry tail. 4 of them had tails that went to either side. You don't really notice it until their tail feathers grow out good, but it is passed down. For that reason, all the roos that were in question of being their dad, are now in the freezer. One wry tail rooster is still out there. DH wants too keep him so bad. He is solid black with green and purple sheen. Beautiful color. But we are not passing on the gene. He will be in the freezer soon. I just have to butcher this one.

Chickens can also get wry neck. I would imagine this causes far more trouble than the tail!

Also check out your rooster's comb. I don't worry too much about mine, but some are not "show quality". Depends on if you want or need show quality. There are specifics on how many points each breed should have on their comb, and so on & so forth. Hope this helps in your decision.

If not, eeny, meanie, minie, moe.[​IMG] Just kidding!

6. stetson1

Jan 29, 2014
    Tn
    Hahahahahha (show quality) at my house it's show me the eggs or I'll show you to the dumpling pot!!!!! Hahahaa unless I have kids and they one day say daddy. I wanna show chickens that's how the hierarchy will stand at my house.....my loving wife always hates knowing that little chick has that fate same thing with the bottle calfs but I grew up on a livestock farm it's either you provide or we ain't having it....I will be on the lookout for the crooked tails and necks tho that, sounds like a form of scoliosis or some skeletal defect....hmm

7. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I am with you 100% there! We raise our chickens for food. Not for floof! I was raised on a dairy farm where we butchered old dairy cattle or steers twice a year. Hubby is more squimish about butchering roosters than I am. People also think it's wrong that some have names....OH WELL! They all look the same in a Ziploc freezer bag. We kept 2 roos out of our last hatch. One is solid white (somehow! Not sure how that happened.) and one is a Rhode Island Red. He is stock from our 1st rhode island red rooster. Red Roo died last winter one very cold night. He was 4+years old.

I wish you all the luck on choosing the right one.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would keep the Black Australorp. Not only are Black Australorps generally calm and gentle (as roosters go), but he would breed the Black Australorps' excellent laying ability into your flock. Whatever rooster you decide to keep, good luck with your flock.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I select for temperament and health. No bad boys stay, no physical faults that are heritable. Large size, good frame, never ill. Then maybe the eye candy factor, and breed type for the available hens. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by