Choosing a surveillance camera

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coopncottage, Dec 1, 2011.

1. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    Early in November I posted that we had four of our seven chickens stolen one night from our backyard coop. We've added padlocks to the run and coop doors, and installed motion sensor lights in five places. We also took down the decorative fencing/gate and built a privacy fence with a keypad for entry through the gate. But I still don't feel safe and would like to add a surveillance camera. But I am so not a techie (ie, CLUELESS!), and I'm having a hard time reading through the electronic gibberish to know what will work.

I can't afford an expensive one. $60 is about my limit. Right now I just want something I can tuck away and aim at the coop door so that we catch any potential thieves on video and so that we can put a sticker up on our gate that tells people they're about to be on candid camera; I'd like for it to send images to my computer, if that's possible. I'm assuming the video is always rolling, but it'd be nice if it was motion activated, and I don't know if they come with that option.

How do I decipher the product descriptions? For example, here's one from Amazon... How do I know where it sends/stores the images? What "keywords" should I look for in the description?:

VideoSecu Bullet Outdoor CCD Security Camera Day Night 26 IR Infrared LEDs With Free Power Supply 1Z8 (about $30)
    * Color CCD image sensor. Signal system NTSC
    * Build-in 26 infrared leds for night vision.
    * Horizontal resolution: 420TVL; Minimum illumination: 0.0 Lux; Lens: 3.6mm
    * Weatherproof camera housing prevent from water, crush
    * Free 12V DC power supply and mounting bracket. Free security warning decal 3"x2"
    This discreet, bullet style camera is standard with IR illumination leds, making them perfect for true 24/7 day/night surveillance. Infrared LEDs with sensors see in total darkness. Capture perfect color pictures by day and clear black and white images at night. Built-in IR on/off control. When ambient light drops below a certain point, the camera switches from color to black and white and turns on the LEDs. Metal enclosure comes with protective sun hood. Sleek, futuristic bullet styling is visually appealing. Free power supply and mounting bracket, free security warning decal 3"x2".

Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated--I just don't want to lose my girls again to thieves.

2. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Well, overall, it sounds like a good camera, though I see nothing about where the images go.
    It comes with a mounting bracket, so that's very good, and also, it comes with a visor to keep the sun from shining into the lenz.
    Also has night vision, so overall, It's very good.
    I would imagine that the images would be connected to your computer, but it's just a guess.

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I believe with a camera like that you would need more to make it all work. Maybe the easiest solution for a non-techie would be a digital game camera (ok they are all digital now!) like used for hunting. Otherwise the one you've list is just a camera and all the control and media storage has to be added to the solution. That could probably be a computer and it's hard drive or some type of dvr setup to periodically take pics or another motion controlling device to trigger the camera with output to the dvr. Yeah....I work in IT and even I am confused by that last bit. Try a game camera, hide it up in a nearby tree where somebody would not see it pointing at your coup. I don't think 60 bucks is going to make this all happen for you though. A cheap game cam is $100, plus you would need batteries and a cheap memory card. So probably for about $140 you could go that route.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Game cams are a good option.

5. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Game cams are an option if you get a good one. Otherwise the response time is slow and you can miss shots. Recovery time also.
    Most cheap cams have regular flash and that will give away the camera location. Even with infrared, humans can see the red leds go off.

We are talking $250-300 to get a trail cam that will be reliable enough to get pictures you can use.

6. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    If budget is too much of an issue put up a fake one with a sign. They won't know the difference.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Game Cam works:

[​IMG]

8. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    Get a 600 line camera. They are around a hundred bucks. Come with LED's that will work for 100'.

Dont worry about discreet. The size will scare the two legged ones away.

The cheaper 420 and 380 line cameras all wear out fast. The LED's and glass will go foggy and you will not see crap at night.

You will also need a DVR for the camera. 4 Camera DVR is about $200. Honestly, invest in a good system. Buy 3 additional cameras and put them on the house/driveway. You will not regret it. You can even feed the video to your TV, so if you hear a noise at night then you turn on tv and take a peek outside.

I sell lots of these systems. any questions ask away.

Most surveillance systems can now be viewed on a smart phone if you have high speed internet at the location. This means you can check up on the birds, kids or house from your phone.

9. Danny D

Danny D Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    I got a game camera from walmart for $60 and it has been working great for me

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How do game cams work? They do record, so that you can rewind to review? How much recording time is available? Do you need wireless hookup?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by