Choosing an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by halo, Dec 1, 2007.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I know this topic has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum, as I have read every thread I can find on it. What Im also finding interesting is the discussions of people having not only a nice incubator, but then another one to hatch them out in. From what Im understanding the hatcher incubator doesnt have to be as "fancy" (for lack of a better word) as the incubator, as its being used from day 18 to hatch, but it sounds like the most important feature on the hatcher should be ease of cleaning. Which incubator does everyone find the easiest to keep clean?

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    idk sorry [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have hova-bators for incubating and I usually use a LG 9200 for hatching. If I'm not doing too many eggs I just use my hova-bator for both. I've got plastic liners for the bottom of them which make clean-up a lot easier.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Hovabator with the fan and autoturner is a fine incubator, but all eggs get moved to a homemade "Fridge-a-Bator" for the final three days and the hatch.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Okay, miss Fridge-a-Bator, can you expound on that, or point me to a thread which tells me all about this wondrous contraption?

6. speckledhen

We had one of those little dorm refrigerators that the compressor was shot on from my son's college days. We removed the compressor and put in a wafer thermostat and just couldnt regulate the temps like we wanted with it's "two story" design, so we turned that sucker on its back so that it opened like a chest freezer. That did it. Here is the link to the pics:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22395&p=1

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How clever!! Im afraid I just wouldn't have a clue how to do something like that, tho if I ever happen to see a broken little fridge, Ill be sorely tempted to try. From what Im seeing of pictures of incubators and eggs, the eggs sit on a grill to hatch on. Can you put plastic under that, or a towel, for easy clean up? I can imagine if you end up with a bad eggs that cracks or explodes that you could have a serious mess to clean up. I like the idea of a hatchery incubator.

8. speckledhen

The tray has those blue shop towels under it, but I've never had a big mess in a hatch. If I did, this would be easy to clean, being all plastic inside. It holds humidity and temp very well, being super insulated like any fridge would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by