Choosing between Welsummer, Marans, Delaware & Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rainekitty, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Rainekitty

Rainekitty Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    I'm about to order some chicks (about 8 or so, straight run) from a local farm. They have Welsummer, Marans, Delaware & Ameraucanas available. My main concerns are overall health, personality and beautiful eggs. I currently have a small flock of 5 hens (speckled sussex, bantam mutt, white rock & 2 red sex links) and one sebright-mix bantam rooster. I'd like to add some color and variety to my egg basket and I have small children who like to help with the chickens. Out of the four breeds listed above, are there any you would especially recommend or NOT recommend? The white rock & red sex links I have now are very friendly but not very intelligent and often peck at the kids clothing and hands thinking they might be edible (they are also hatchery stock purchased from a local feed store, which might explain this trait). My other chickens are a bit smarter and I'd prefer a 'smarter' chicken over a 'dumb and friendly' chicken.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Kiddos always love the colored eggs, so you've got to have a few Ameraucana or Easter Eggers. Marans give nice dark eggs, so I'd get some of each.

3. Rainekitty

Rainekitty Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I wish the Ameraucana's were cuter, though. For some reason I find them to be the ugliest chicken out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by