Choosing breeding birds for sex link: utility or show quality?

suburbanfarm

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
Hi, I'm just in the process of picking up a couple of pullets for sex link chicks with a black australorp.

Any advice would be helpful. Am I looking for more of a utility strain, and focus on a healthy bird with maximum eggs per week? Or would I be looking for pure bred girls that meet that standards as much as possible? Just checking what the best approach is, as most of the Plymouth rocks here seem to be utility.

Also choosing between Cream Legbars and Plymouth Rocks. Would either be easier to sex or make offspring that are better backyard layers?

Well it depends on what you're looking for. Sexlink can't be shown in APA shows so imo show quality isn't necessary.

I personally am sticking to a breed that has both colors needed (bantam cochins) so that the chicks are technically still purebred even if the color genes are a bit off.

Am I looking for more of a utility strain, and focus on a healthy bird with maximum eggs per week? Or would I be looking for pure bred girls that meet that standards as much as possible?

If you just want healthy backyard layers, I would probably buy a utility strain from a hatchery for the parents, but buy at least twice as many as you expect to need. Any time you find one with any problem that affects their ability to be healthy and productive, cull that bird (either eat them, or rehome to someone that wants a bird like that, or keep them but not as part of the breeding project.)

If you want a particular quality that is in the show strain but not the utility strain, then buy the strain that give what you want. (Examples might be size or growth rate.)

If you have no other way to decide, maybe try the utility strain first because they are probably easier to find and cheaper. If you really don't like the results, you could try the other option the next year.

Also choosing between Cream Legbars and Plymouth Rocks. Would either be easier to sex or make offspring that are better backyard layers?
The daughters of Plymouth Rocks are likely to be better layers, and will lay brown eggs. They will probably be bigger, meatier chickens.

The daughters of Cream Legbars should lay green eggs, will probably lay a few less eggs, and will probably have a small crest on the head. They will probably be slightly smaller chickens, with a slimmer build.

I don't think there would be much difference in ability to sex their chicks, if you're crossing to a Black Australorp rooster.

If you just want healthy backyard layers, I would probably buy a utility strain from a hatchery for the parents, but buy at least twice as many as you expect to need. Any time you find one with any problem that affects their ability to be healthy and productive, cull that bird (either eat them, or rehome to someone that wants a bird like that, or keep them but not as part of the breeding project.)

If you want a particular quality that is in the show strain but not the utility strain, then buy the strain that give what you want. (Examples might be size or growth rate.)

If you have no other way to decide, maybe try the utility strain first because they are probably easier to find and cheaper. If you really don't like the results, you could try the other option the next year.

The daughters of Plymouth Rocks are likely to be better layers, and will lay brown eggs. They will probably be bigger, meatier chickens.

The daughters of Cream Legbars should lay green eggs, will probably lay a few less eggs, and will probably have a small crest on the head. They will probably be slightly smaller chickens, with a slimmer build.

I don't think there would be much difference in ability to sex their chicks, if you're crossing to a Black Australorp rooster.
Thanks for the detailed response, that's really helpful!

Yeah just wanting to ensure that the girls we breed are great, healthy layers that people enjoy having in their backyard. And minimise 'oops' with day old sexing.

A lot of the Plymouth rocks around me seem to have fairly messy striping compared to the show examples, so I wasn't sure if this has an impact on sex links being clear.

Well it depends on what you're looking for. Sexlink can't be shown in APA shows so imo show quality isn't necessary.

I personally am sticking to a breed that has both colors needed (bantam cochins) so that the chicks are technically still purebred even if the color genes are a bit off.
Yes totally not for showing, but I guess the purest in me enjoys 'pure' cross with 'pure', but in reality 'pure' cross 'utility' might be all we need 😂

I would go with using barred Plymouth Rock females since they have strong utility qualities. The quality of barring will not change the fact that male chicks will have white head spots and female chicks will not.

I would go with using barred Plymouth Rock females since they have strong utility qualities. The quality of barring will not change the fact that male chicks will have white head spots and female chicks will not.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think I was being swayed by the excitement my kids would have collecting blue eggs, but sounds like Rockies are a solid choice. We love Rockies though!

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I was being swayed by the excitement my kids would have collecting blue eggs, but sounds like Rockies are a solid choice. We love Rockies though!
*green eggs*
If you want green eggs, Legbars are a good choice too. Both breeds have benefits. Either way, I think you’ll like the results.

You could get a Cream Legbar hen too, and your kids could collect the occasional blue egg, and you might just not incubate those eggs.

Or you could incubate some of the blue eggs, and not know which chicken will lay what color eggs (until the crests of the Legbar-daughters become visible).

Or you could incubate eggs of both colors, in separate incubators, and keep the chicks separate if you want to sell them to people, so they can choose which ones they want.

Or you could just go with Barred Rocks, and only brown eggs.

Lots of options!

Back
Top Bottom