1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Choosing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LVchicks, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    I have 25 chicks that are 2 weeks old. I am keeping 10 and selling the rest after they are fully feathered. I'd like thoughts on how to pick which ones to keep. I have 5 each of BR, BO, RIR, EE and Lorps. There are a couple that I know I want, like the BO that hops on my hand when I put it in the brooder and prefers to stay on my hand, arm, shoulder to being in the brooder. There is a little RIR that is also very personable. I want to keep a variety of breeds to make my flock pretty and egg basket interesting but I also want a smart combo of personalities. Should I keep at least one that is more aggressive/bold especially since I am not keeping any cockerels? is pecking a sign of aggression, curiousity or both? a few will sometimes peck at my hands but not repeatedly or aggressively, or at least it seems that way. Now the ones that fly themselves at my head when I am bending into the brooder...that definitely feels like I am being attacked.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    All your birds are good layers.
    RIRs tend to be bullies in a mixed flock.
    I might keep 2 of each.

Have you considered they don't want to go into the brooder because it's too hot in there? Do they have a cool space to escape the heat?
    25 chicks can keep a small space pretty warm.

3. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    I'm reasonably sure they aren't too warm. They are in a circular brooder that is 5' in diameter with the light off to one side. There are in my garage and the ambient temp is probably in the 60's on average. They tend to be fairly equally scattered around the brooder when awake and they sleep mostly in the middle in the area where the edge of the light/heat meets the unlit/unheated area. Some of them pile up to sleep but many sleep where they fall be it on a stick, in the food or on top of someone else :D

4. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    I have all those mixed together, and they're all fine. It's pretty much a matter of preference of who you like best. I got rid of my RIR's cause I didn't like to be pecked the way they pecked me. Honestly, they scared me. The others stopped pecking me as they got older. From my experience I have found that sometimes the personality they have as a chick is not the same as when they're grown. My BO's were really skittish when little, but as they got older they're so sweet, and well the BR's are just, well, something special. They loved to fly up to my head when little, and the other day I bent over in the coop and one of my big hens jumped on my back. They never outgrew being extra friendly. In general things changed when I moved them outside into the chicken coop hoop. I love walking in there with them now. Reaching into a brooder can be scary, but now that they have more room and I'm at a higher level they don't peck and go crazy. I still do wear thick gloves, long pants, and boots just in case, though. I read in a magazine that if you bend over the chicken they instinctively think you're a predator. I've learned to change some of my behaviors, and they responded better.

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I would pick the friendliest and ones I just seem to like the most. There are always favorites. My issues with selling chicks as soon as they are feathered out is that you won't know who is a good layer, or which rooster is gentle with hens, so it is really just which ones you like the looks and personality of the best. Or just eenie meenie minie moe it...Lol.

I am also confused as to what constitutes a friendly chicken. I want a chicken I can pet and hug...My chickens will come when I call, and they follow me all over the yard, and step on my shoes, but if I go to pet them they dart out of the way. They don't run off, but they move away so I can't reach them...Are there chickens that will let me love them? I want to hug my big rooster so bad, but I know he would hate it..but it's so hard not to just grab him anyway when he's following me around the yard being so sweet.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree with ChickenCanoe. My hatchery RIR's, while good layers, have always been the more aggressive ones in my last couple of flocks and they seem to be the ones with the most egg laying health related issues as well.

7. stefan333

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    My first BO and Brahma let me pick them up very easily, and I was so happy when they started doing that. Then I found out that wasn't a good sign. Ya, they're no longer with the flock anymore.

8. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I have a J. Giant who will sit on the back of my chair when I go outside. My cochin is more stand offish. My BR and BO are sweet. My EE is nervous Nelly. My bantams are either really friendly or scared of everything

9. If your asking for suggestions......Keep em all. Who doesn't need 25 chickens. [​IMG]

I think these are all brown layers EXCEPT the EE's. If you are looking for variety keep an extra EE as the green/blue eggs surely make for a conversation piece.

10. stefan333

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    I couldn't agree more. I lost count at 20 something, and I NEED more more more! I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight cause two Rural Kings near me get shipments in tomorrow.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by