Choosing feed for ducklings and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Greetings, all,

If this has been answered (very likely), please direct me to the thread, since I haven't found it yet. [​IMG]

Right now I have a choice for brands of feed for my ducklings expected to arrive in a couple of months.

They are Blue Seal, Agway and Nutrena.

I would like to hear opinions about these brands. Please bear with me, I have quite a bit to learn!

Thanks!

2. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Amiga,

I noticed no one answered you yet, I don't yet have any ducks but click on the sticky topics at the top of the list, it has info on feeding as well as a bunch more stuff. Sorry it took so long for you to get a answer. [​IMG] It happens sometimes, don't know why.

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i myself used purina mills for grower feed when my babies were growing and i trust that more than anything. you have to be careful to buy NON medicated food. when i got my first duckling it died and i am convinced it was the food. the feed store told me it was UNmedicated and i went in one day to check out the bags of food (the feed store is like a do it yourself but some in a bag instead of buying huge bags) and i saw it was MEDICATED. i had tow alk out for i yelled att hem for killing my poor innocent little duckling

i have read that Nutrena is good. if i were you i would go with GAME BIRD if possible and not CHICKEN feed. even though my ducks are now eating chicken layer pellets lol. but i can't stress enough to stay away from MEDICATED food. it was horrible losing my little duckie. i was already having very hard times. that's why i got someone to take care of and i had failed [​IMG]

good luck!!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    OOOOHHHH lovesducksies !
    Read your post.,..so sorry that happened to you and your little duck ! I know when I got my Guinea babies I had read non-medicated...game bird food. Made sure I used it.
    I have to shop 4 grain/supply stores to get what I want. Right now just chicks and Guineas but have already order 20 ducks....4 breeds, from Holddereads for mid March.
    Sorry to jump your thread....just felt bad. :-(((
    Liz
    Rochester, MA

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, everyone.

lovesduckies, sorry about your loss. So many times, people miss the important (sometimes life or death) details. Rough. I pray things get and stay better for you. I know how much I am looking forward to adding to my animal family. I am working hard to make their pen predator proof, even though I know we cannot always prevent every problem.

That is why I am looking into the feeds available around here. And now I know the three closest feed stores have the three brands I listed. I am leaning toward the Nutrena, because in speaking to the other two stores, I gathered that they didn't really understand some of the differences (like medicated feed) about ducklings. I am sure they are lovely people, just not oriented to ducks. I have Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and have been poring over it for months. It is a must-have, in my opinion, but being on this forum with you all is another must-have.

Big dreams, I have read through the stickies, they are great help! I don't remember if they had any feedback on the three brands I was asking about. All the prices are about the same on feed, so it is just a matter of finding out what others have had success with.

As always, you are a wonderful bunch! I hope to hear more from everyone in the coming days, months, years(?)[​IMG]

Peace and healthy birds!

6. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    Yes...the Storey's guide, by Dr Holdderead is a great book...helped me decide what duckies to order.
    I should have said I had one grain store try and sell me turkey food....MEDICATED..for my Guineas. Told me it didn't matter. So yes, you do have to be careful and can't belive all they have to say.
    Liz
    Rochester, MA

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    thank you [​IMG] it was the sweetest little duck. it would eat and play in the water then run over to me take a nap on my chest, hand, lap, or anywhere else it wanted to plop down and then jump up and play with himself in the mirror eat drink and play more till it was nap time and run over to me again. lol. so sweet. i really miss my duckie. good luck with your duckies!!!

i hope things get better too now my beloved bunny is sick and i am in tears so my parents said they would pay for her vet bills. she is going first thing tomorrow morning. if that means missing class and not getting into my last class to graduate then i don't graduate yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by