choosing meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by vsmenagerie, Aug 10, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I have been reading for the past few days, the various types of meat birds, and I am just not sure which to choose!

How did you decide which meat bird to go with? I plan on having them in a pen outside, so they can eat grass, bugs, ect. I have a time frame I do need to work in. My husband works 3 weeks on and 1 week off. I need to make sure the birds are ready on his week off, because no way will I do all of the processing, ie: I raise them, and he is the one that will butcher them. I will help, but the actual killing part is his, not for me. So, they either need to be ready sooner, or need to be able to go another 3 weeks if they arent ready on his week off..

Any suggestions? I go back and forth.. If I ordered this week, and got CX, Im pretty sure we'll be good for near the end of Oct, but then, Ive not raised any before, so Im not positive! But then I read about the other types and wonder if they would be a better option, since it seems the CX really has a more set time limit before they can have issues.

If it matters, we have 6 people in our family. So a good sized chicken is a must.

I know you guys see this probably 100x's and I appreciate any advice!! Im looking at getting 30 birds.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I did 12 CXs and they were easy, friendly birds. I gave them a frizzle broody mama and a large pen to run in (10' by 15'?. Also, I let them free range with the main flock. They were eatin' and poopin' machines, but such goofballs I was sorry to see them go.

3. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Starting with a few Cornish Crosses will give you a good way to learn about meat birds in general and they are pretty easy to raise. After these then you have something to compare to anything else you try.

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Start with Cornish X see how you like them, maybe after that try some of the other meat birds.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Generally, if you need to keep them for another 2-3 weeks until your husband's day off, it won't be a problem. Except that they will eat more. They get bigger as they eat more, so it isn't really a loss.

End of October tends to be a good time to butcher. The heat is usually over and you aren't standing there freezing.

6. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:Thanks. Thats my main concern. I am figuring they will be around 10 weeks when he's home then. Now to find a plucker lol the guy at the feed store was like: Uhm, no idea LOL

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks. Thats my main concern. I am figuring they will be around 10 weeks when he's home then. Now to find a plucker lol the guy at the feed store was like: Uhm, no idea LOL

You don't necessarily need a plucker. You can pluck them by hand. That's a good project for a family of six.

8. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT

You don't necessarily need a plucker. You can pluck them by hand. That's a good project for a family of six.

Yea, I know we could, and we will if needed. But it just seems like a lot of plucking for 30 birds LOL and Im not too sure how well the kids are going to take to it. Will be their first experience with chickens. They saw pigs be butchered but didnt really help any.

9. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Correct. I can cycle a CX every 10 minutes all by myself. I charge $2.50 per bird, and make a decent living.

10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    a plucker isn't that much quicker than doing it by hand, unless you're talking something like an ezplucker or whizzbang.

we did freedom rangers this year, and will be doing them again the future. loved them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by