Choosing our next breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Deviledegg, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Deviledegg

Deviledegg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Hi all,
    My family and I are puzzled on which breed of chicken to get this spring. We currently have 2 Cuckoo Marans and 2 Ameraucans that lay brown and blue eggs. We will be getting 2 of which ever breed we decide on to expand our flock to 6. Also, we are looking for a colorful breed that may have a light feather color since our flock is mainly black and dark grey. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Our hopes for a breed are:
    • Winter hardy
    • Friendly with people and other chickens
    • Lays either pink, green, or cream colored eggs!!!!!
    • Light colored feathers

I know this is a lot to ask but thanks so much everyone!!!!!! [​IMG]

P.S We really don't want any more of the breeds we already have and want to avoid Easter Eggers.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Cream Crested Legbars tend to lay blue/easter eggs, as do Araucana's and Amarucana's (purebred line, not EE) and I think those are pretty much the only (Widely Available) breeds in the US :3

3. Deviledegg

Oct 11, 2015
    Thank you!!!

4. pamperedamber

pamperedamber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2015
    Riverside, Ca
    You could get an Easert Egger. I love the coloring on mine and they come in all sorts of colors so you could get lighter ones. This is mine. I am not sure what color her eggs are yet but any day now she should start to lay.[​IMG]

5. Deviledegg

Oct 11, 2015
    Wow thank you! Your birds are gorgeous! :eek:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  6. Kate K

Kate K Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    Northfield, CT
    My Coop
    I love my white Plymouth rock and she lays a cream to lighter colored egg. Very friendly and sensible girl...I think the white will contrast nicely with darker hens. Also non broody...so far:)

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Plymouth Rocks are very nice birds, and come in white or buff colors. Also white or buff Chanteclers, especially in very cold climates. Wyandottes come in zillions of colors, and are very winter hardy too. Mary

8. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    I second the white Plymouth Rock, or a light brahma might be a good fit too. Plus the feathers legs on the brahmas are fun :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by