Choosing Roos? (A little rambling.)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Clucknut, May 8, 2011.

1. Clucknut

Clucknut Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I hope this is the right place to post this...

Spring comes early in south Florida, so my 38, 7-week old, straight-run, assorted OEGBs have already been in the coop for a couple of weeks. They’re acting more and more like chickens, and less like chicks every day. It’s starting to get pretty crowded in the new coop. Knowing it would, I haven’t torn down the old coop yet. I’ll be separating out the surplus roos, and housing them there while I grow them up for the table. (Unless I happen to find homes for them.) I think I’d like to try keeping two roos with my flock of 19 hens, but how to choose?
    Flashy colors is important… I guess, but If there will be two, they need to get along. So far, I’ve only let myself get attached to one Red Pyle roo. He seems to have (or think he has) a special place in the flock .
    He’s not the biggest. I’ve never seen him in one of the mock battles that all the others participate in, and he crows constantly. Is he dominant?
    What should I look for in social behavior when picking my second roo? The good thing is, I have time to put them together with the hens and see how they do. If there are problems, I’ll try another one until I get a pair that can tolerate each other.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'd pick the roos that seem respectful of humans - stepping out of the way, minding their own biz - and don't seem too hard on the pullets; not constantly harrassing them.

3. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    I had to pick one roo out of 14 to keep. I asked around in the breeding/genetics section and someone sent me the standard for the breed (mine happened to be dark brahmas). I used process of elemination, ones with too much white had to go. Then out of the few that were left I picked one with a nice comb, and was easy to catch/handle. They are 3 months, but he seems to be a good choice. I hope this helps, I would look for the closest one to the breed standard.

4. Clucknut

Clucknut Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks Guys.[​IMG]
    I have noticed a few of the cockerels being as aggressive towards the pullets as they are with the other roos.
    I’ll have to watch for that. Nobody has acted aggressive towards my wife and I. (yet)
    Since I’m not going to be showing my birds, I’m not too worried about breed standards. ( But, being my first time with OEGBs, I can already tell that they are breed for their looks.)
    If I let nature take it’s course, the chicks my flock produces will be a mix of whatever the hen is and the rooster(s) I end up keeping anyway.
    Having said that, Looking at the combs and overall appearance of health, along with their attitude sounds like a good place to start .
    Now that I think about it, that noisy little Red Pyle doesn’t seem to socialize with the other chicks at all. That can’t be good.
    Hmmm…. Decisions, decisions…. This ain’t gonna be easy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by