Choosing the quail to breed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by possumhunter, Jan 11, 2010.

1. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    I am going to attempt to process my first batch of coturnix today (wish me luck and thank you to all who have posted tutorials on here). My question is...Should I leave the largest birds for breeding, that way I can produce larger birds in the future? I really don't know much about breeding and genetics, but I'm assuming that breeding larger birds together with produce larger birds? I am only raising them as a meat bird so that is really the only purpose (assuming that I can process them again after today, haha).

2. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Yep, that's the way to do it!

Make sure you have a good male/female ratio in your breeders and good luck!
    -Zay

3. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Sounds like ya got it under control [​IMG]

4. possumhunter

Jan 6, 2010
    Thanks for the help! It took me about 1 hour to process 2 of them [​IMG] Probably because I was shaking so hard! I managed to do 3 of them and then had my husband do the last one. Hopefully it gets easier next time. I don't mind processing, just don't like the killing!

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Bop their heads on the counter first if you didn't already do this. It makes it much easier on yourself and the birds.

6. possumhunter

Jan 6, 2010
    I did do that, thanks! But the garden shears didn't feel as sharp as I would have liked and I felt like the actually cutting the heads part was a little sloppy. Sharper shears next time! And I think it would help to start on a day that I don't already feel yucky! [​IMG]

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I was using all-purpose utility shears. They weren't super sharp, but they worked. Basically, as long as the spinal column is crushed and severed, you're good to go. I usually had an extra snip or two to do to after the main snip. That was just a flap of skin though.

8. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

you can order things called humane dispatchers that I find make things a bit less unpleasant. they dislocate the spinal cord quickly, as opposed to you having to decapitate the bird. it upsets me less anyway

9. worldling

worldling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I just pinch their little heads off. They just come right off.

10. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Its not just the killing of the birds ya do need to cut the head all the way off not just break the neck. this way they can bleed out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by