Choosing the right hens

henoverheels

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 1, 2013
Windsor
Hi there. I am interested in adding some hens to my existing flock of silkies, silver spangled hamburgs and a wellsummer rooster. I had RIR previously, and am now looking for good egg production from any new hens , as the silkies were not bought for their egg laying qualities . I have only had RIR before but when they passed away , we wanted to explore different breeds . However , I am not sure which breeds to choose . I would appreciate any advice before I head off to bring my new girls home .

Thank you

Thanks very much for the advice. Having had RIR for six years, I was probably spoilt , as they were friendly chickens and laid beautiful eggs . I have had my eyes on wellsummers , so I am very pleased at your comments.

Thanks again

Sue

Although not as friendly as RIRs', they do warm up to humans over time. My 'Miss Crabby' was named for her disposition, but she now allows me to stroke her breast feathers (took 2 years). The feathers are so pretty, that if you are talented enough - I'm not - I have seen some very good looking earrings made from them, also fishing flies. Sue

Back
Top Bottom