1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Choosing the right hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henoverheels, Oct 17, 2013.

1. henoverheels

henoverheels Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Windsor
    Hi there. I am interested in adding some hens to my existing flock of silkies, silver spangled hamburgs and a wellsummer rooster. I had RIR previously, and am now looking for good egg production from any new hens , as the silkies were not bought for their egg laying qualities . I have only had RIR before but when they passed away , we wanted to explore different breeds . However , I am not sure which breeds to choose . I would appreciate any advice before I head off to bring my new girls home .

Thank you

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello,
    My Welsummers' are consistent, good layers of pretty, speckled, dark brown eggs, not quite as friendly as RIRs', they are also cold tolerant. Sue

3. henoverheels

henoverheels Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Windsor
    Thanks very much for the advice. Having had RIR for six years, I was probably spoilt , as they were friendly chickens and laid beautiful eggs . I have had my eyes on wellsummers , so I am very pleased at your comments.

Thanks again

Sue

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Although not as friendly as RIRs', they do warm up to humans over time. My 'Miss Crabby' was named for her disposition, but she now allows me to stroke her breast feathers (took 2 years). The feathers are so pretty, that if you are talented enough - I'm not - I have seen some very good looking earrings made from them, also fishing flies. Sue

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Check out Henderson's chicken breeds chart. It'll help you to wade through the hundreds of possibilities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by