Choosing the Rooster to stay and the ones to eat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RGreenfamily, Mar 27, 2016.

1. RGreenfamily

RGreenfamily Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    I have 11 BR roosters that are 20 weeks old with 9 BR hens and 18 pullets (buff orpington, Black australops, & Golden comets). So I want to keep 2 roos. How do I decide?

The biggest for dinner or to keep?
    The loudest?

They all are relatively friendly. My children handle them all the time. None are aggressive or mean.
    We will be butchering 50 Cornish X in a month and the BR will be 24 weeks, so It seems like a good time. I just want to keep the right ones. Any opinions?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Keep the ones that are closest to the SOP and the ones that display the behavior you want to perpetuate.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You might not butcher all 11 at once, reduce it to the top 3, let them live a bit longer, sometimes it is easier to make a good choice then.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    If they're going to have flaws or become human aggressive, sometimes it takes a long time for that to show. Like a year or so.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x3. Keep the largest three boys who have good conformation, no real flaws, and good attitudes. Then see how they mature. Mary

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the saying is something like "Keep the one you want to eat and eat the rest"......eating the biggest one will prevent his big genes from being passed on, if you're looking for future meals.

Temperament is always prime concern around here. I don't care how big or pretty you are, if you're mean you get the knife.

Agree with culling slowly. They're young yet, and those sweet males can turn hormonal faster than you'd think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by