Choosing the rural life

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
OK I think I need a country life pep talk.

What with the hours I am working, getting SO sick smack in the spring when there is the most to do, and DH working pretty much all f the time, I am done.

I look at people who have nice big houses and maybe and acre of land all tended and I wonder why I chose this life. I know work expands to fill the amount of time you have, but ....

17 chickens in the regular coop, 3 hens in the recoupa-coop and 5 babies in the baby box.
2 goats
and a tank full of baby toads.
2 kids
an absent husband
full time job

Crops covered in weeds.
Ten acres of land -weeds, weeds, weeds

Deep breath. now, summer is here. weeds happen. let some of it go.
I understand exactly what you are saying.
And every time you think you are getting a system that works...something else drops into your lap.

Do what you love, enjoy what is enjoyable, and let the other things slide a little.
Live things first, and whatever else you have time for and want to do fine. My garden has weeds this year.
the greenhouses are a dump, and the grass needs to be mowed. it will be just as mowed next week when it gets done.
I did not get the beans canned this year. I have fed more vegetables to the chickens than to us.

dust happens, and it starts to settle as soon as I am done dusting.
I dare anyone to say anything about it around here, or they get the job!
lol.png

hugs.gif

Get some edible and medicinal plant identification books, go walking with the kids, and find out how useful many of your "weeds" are! Steve Brill's book is especially good...

I can only imagine how hard it must be to do it all while working. I commend you for your strength! I have just under an acre. I dream for what you have.My lot is starting to look nice.Maybe I could ask the 10+ homeowners that face in on my property what they think. I HATE the fish bowl feeling,and desperately try to block the views into my yard. I feel naked! I fret every time my roo Jack Sparrow crows. I dread the summers when my back neighbor shoots fireworks into my yard,and pray nothing gets burned.

I don't know if I could do all that you do,but I sure would like to try.Sometimes I want something different that what I have. I try to be happy with what we do have.My friend lost her house and lives in a rental in a ghetto area.I know my home is paradise to her.

I have let the weeds go. I actually pick the dandilions for my rabbit.I do however pull the prickly ones out. Do you mow it all or mow paths? I once did a mowed path/maze in my backyard that went in a circle,and in the middle I put a playhouse. Loved walking the path,and it was more fun to cut that than the whole back.

It does feel good to get some lawn cut,a plant in,or a bed weeded. I take a picture and enjoy that moment of order.My yard is a mess compared to the neighbors. Oh well they shouldn't be looking into my yard!

Yeah, I know I am run down and a little depressed as a result of being ill and other issues, Most of it is tended to some degree and I think more of it should be let go to wild. But we do have a big chink now that is a maze. Every year we let a chunk grow and then BIL, who is useless for most things but oddly talented at this, mows out a maze. The kids love it. I worry about ticks.

The goats eat my roses and sunflowers and left the weeds alone....

I like the relabeling if only I had prettier weeds!!
lol.png
I am getting overrun with Sweet Sue.....

Back
Top Bottom