Choosing to stay indoors???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tracyree, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Why do my pullets stay inside so much?? I moved them to their coop at 4 weeks. At that point they had they had access to the 4x8 interior or an 8x10 pen with wood floor covered by pine shavings. They stayed inside unless eating (I put the food in the penned area).

So I chalked it up to getting used to their freedom, but it never changed. I then thought maybe they didn't like the wooden floor in the pen. (although it has a thick layer of pine shavings so whybtheynwould prefer the inside shavings, I don't know). I thought when we added the outdoor run straight on the dirt, they'd stay outside all day.

Now, they've only had free access to their run for two days, but I'm surprised to see them going inside a lot still.

They appear healthy and hop up and come out any time we go out their, but still hangbout inside their coop a lot. Found them roosting indoors at 9 am yesterday.

Also thought it was heat related, but today it's so nice out and the girls were inside when I checked them a bit ago.

Is this normal behavior???

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Any other chickens in with them? Is there any shade outside?

3. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    It's four pullets and plenty of shade.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here in Phoenix, mine come out in the morning from about 5AM until about 11:AM... then they are back in the coop enjoying the AC until about 6PM... they spend about an hour and a half back in the run and they are all on the roosts by 7:30PM.

I have food for them both in the run and inside. I don't know if they'd ever come to the run if there wasn't food and water (and places to dust bathe) there.

5. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    Do you have a roosting post in their run? They might just prefer to hang out up high on the roost.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by