Choosing Tylan vs LA 200 for mycoplasma

Heartsopenwide

Songster
Jan 23, 2021
I believe we might have mycoplasma. I had a chicken with a swollen bubbly eye. I isolated and treated with Tylan. It seemed to be getting better. But then two days ago, two more chickens ended up with a swollen eye. Yesterday I was up to four. Just one eye each. Only the first bird (pictured) had respiratory sounding issues that I could hear. I have been doing research. Some say to use LA 200, and that Tylan isn’t effective. Others say Tylan is more effective. Which is true? I already ordered Denagard

Attachments

• 731594B6-CA15-45C7-9A13-E34D71B3DEC9.jpeg
    731594B6-CA15-45C7-9A13-E34D71B3DEC9.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Tylosin (Tylan) is a good antibiotic, one that is approved for poultry, and requires no egg withdrawal. It is used to treat mycoplasma (MG) and in some enteritis. Since MG is a chronic disease, there is no cure. But many chickens will get over an acute infection, and may or may not have another outbreak. There is an MG vaccine available to help prevent new flock members from getting it.

Ugh! Does tylan cure anything? There’s bubbles in eye, cackling when breathing & that’s it. I’ve been doing vetrx 3x a day, Terramycin 3x a day & tylan 200.
The cackling stopped in the one who was breathing like that. But idk what else to do other than maybe baytril
My chicks are like 200 grams 😓 I’ve been giving like 3 drops 3x a day
Tylan will treat symptoms, it's not a cure.

Since you have Tylan200 then the dose will be very small for chicks weighing around 200grams. So 3 drops 3 times a day for 5 days is probably about right.

I would stick with and finish the Tylan before going to another antibiotic. Baytril is a very strong antibiotic and it's not something I would use in very young chicks unless I felt like they were in dire need of it.
If your chicks are able to eat/drink and are still fairly active, even with symptoms, then I'd try to avoid such the Baytril.

Oh and Baytril will treat symptoms - it will not cure MG either. There is no cure and birds will remain carriers for life.

Tylan is commonly used to treat Symptoms of MG. Do you have powder or injectable (Tylan50/200)?
Do keep in mind that respiratory illnesses like MG do spread through a flock. Birds that get better and those that are exposed even if they never exhibit symptoms are carriers of the disease.

I believe we might have mycoplasma. I had a chicken with a swollen bubbly eye. I isolated and treated with Tylan. It seemed to be getting better. But then two days ago, two more chickens ended up with a swollen eye. Yesterday I was up to four. Just one eye each. Only the first bird (pictured) had respiratory sounding issues that I could hear. I have been doing research. Some say to use LA 200, and that Tylan isn’t effective. Others say Tylan is more effective. Which is true? I already ordered Denagard
Sounds like you have illness spreading through the flock.
Clean the eyes with saline and apply an eye ointment a couple of times a day.

Tylan is commonly used to treat Symptoms of MG. Do you have powder or injectable (Tylan50/200)? If powdered, then make sure the birds are drinking the water. If you have a bird not drinking, then they aren't getting the medication and you need to syringe the mixed water into them frequently.

Injectable Tylan is given orally 3 times a day, so make sure you are giving the correct dose for the correct amount of time. If you need Tylan dosing, let us know.

Denagard is use to treat MG in poultry.

LA200 could also be used to treat symptoms of respiratory illness like MG.

Consistency in giving medications and giving the correct doses, keeping the eyes cleaned and water stations cleaned will help with Symptoms.

Do keep in mind that respiratory illnesses like MG do spread through a flock. Birds that get better and those that are exposed even if they never exhibit symptoms are carriers of the disease.

Tylan is commonly used to treat Symptoms of MG. Do you have powder or injectable (Tylan50/200)? If powdered, then make sure the birds are drinking the water. If you have a bird not drinking, then they aren't getting the medication and you need to syringe the mixed water into them frequently.

Injectable Tylan is given orally 3 times a day, so make sure you are giving the correct dose for the correct amount of time. If you need Tylan dosing, let us know.

Consistency in giving medications and giving the correct doses, keeping the eyes cleaned and water stations cleaned will help with Symptoms.

Dosing for Tylan and LA200 would be helpful. What about injecting? I have been cleaning eyes with saline. What kind of ointment should I be using?
Thank you.

Dosing for Tylan and LA200 would be helpful. What about injecting? I have been cleaning eyes with saline. What kind of ointment should I be using?
Thank you.
I have been doing research. ????
Do you have powder or injectable (Tylan50/200)?
IF you will tell what Tylan you have that would be good.
Powdered, follow the directions on the label.

Injectable is 10-40mg/kg given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

LA200 is long acting injectable used for cattle every 3 days. Dosing is iffy for chickens, but you may find the answer here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/miracle-la-200-dosage-and-vetrx-for-crd-treatment.631458/

Ointment for eyes - Terramycin, you can find it at TSC or online.

IF you will tell what Tylan you have that would be good.
Powdered, follow the directions on the label.

Injectable is 10-40mg/kg given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

LA200 is long acting injectable used for cattle every 3 days. Dosing is iffy for chickens, but you may find the answer here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/miracle-la-200-dosage-and-vetrx-for-crd-treatment.631458/

Ointment for eyes - Terramycin, you can find it at TSC or online.
I have injectable Tylan 200 and LA 200 on order. Thank you again

Could I get the dosage on tylan 200 please?

Back
Top Bottom