Choosing...WHICH GAMEBIRD DO YOU PREFER

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SamG347, Jul 24, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Well...I have 3 options here and I cant decide for the life of me. As many of you know I own/breed Coturnix quail. But I would also like to get something new...here are my three choices

Button Quail
    Bobwhite Quail
    Albino Chukar Partridge

I cant decide which I would rather get. They all have their ups and downs....and I dont know what the demand is for either of the three. Let me know what you guys PREFER!
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love ringneck pheasants... but that's not on your list.

3. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    I have two of three you listed. I love my button quail. I have a breeding pair and just hatched nine of their babies out. They are really easy to care for. I have mine in a 10 gallon aquarium and they do just great. not real friendly and very flighty. easy to breed and care for. I also have 7 bob whites and they are outside and do really well. they also are very easy to care for. I have them for the sound they make. I have a trio of oranges and then regular brown ones. I have had pretty good luck with the bob white in breeding also. They are not has flighty but are not real friendly either. both are easy to care for. I guess i prefer my buttons but both have pros and cons

[​IMG]

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Yah I have had bobwhite before....the only thing I dont like about them is you have to keep them in smaller numbers when breeding...I dont have the money to build a lot of new cages. I have a cage for the Partridge and for the buttons.
    [​IMG]

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Bobwhtes and Albino [​IMG]

6. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Chukkars! I want to get some next year.

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Chukars. I love mine and really wish they weren't seasonal layers. It's going to be a long wait to get eggs. I have the standard color, though. Albinos are more expensive and harder to come across.

If you already have quail of any sort then chukars are fun enough to branch out into.

8. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Bobwhites!

9. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Bobwhites AND chukar [​IMG]

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Sam, you should get the albino chukars!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by