Choosing which Houdan rooster to keep

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by houdanqueen, Jun 12, 2016.

1. houdanqueen

houdanqueen Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    I have three young Houdan roosters which have just started crowing. I only plan to keep one of the three, and would like to cull as soon as possible.
    I understand it's better to let them mature first before choosing, but my current setup means I need to cull soon.
    One already looks far superior than the others, and is currently the only one with a black crest, which is exactly what i was looking for. It is also far larger than the other two.
    How much does their colour change after the first molt? Is it safe to assume that if he has a black crest now, it will remain the same colour?

2. RoosterTheHorse

RoosterTheHorse Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    Stanwood, Wa
    I ended up with two Houdan cockerels. They both are beautiful. You might consider, since these type of birds are often shown, to try and find a 4-H youngster, or a person, who might like a free Houdan to show.

That is what we decided to do.

3. houdanqueen

houdanqueen Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Thanks for the reply.
    We ended up keeping the roo with the black crest, and used the other two as dog food. I'd prefer to wait until I have the flock looking more like breed standard before selling any :).
    Really hoping this one brings in some good babies next year. I plan to put him in with my (will be) 4 year old hens next year and any I manage to hatch out this year and my other roo in with the young hens. I still get between 2-5 eggs a day out of the 5 older hens, so am hoping they'll pass it along to their offspring.

4. houdanqueen

houdanqueen Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Here is my older roo- Captain Cock
    [​IMG]
    And the newest addition- Underdog
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by