Chop or Neck Slit?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LeghornJosh, Jan 16, 2010.

1. LeghornJosh

LeghornJosh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Curious on everyones opinion on the killing of thier meat birds.

Do you....

A) Chop the head off

B) Slit the neck and allow it to bleed out

C) Another popular/unpopular method i'm not familiar with?

Thanks in advance for the input!

2. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I am a slicer, and let them bleed, it took a couiple to get the hang of it, but I like it a lot better than the chop!!

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I'm a pop-them-in-a-cone and slit their neck kinda gal. I'm afraid if I chopped, I'd:

a) miss and have to chop again a couple of times to take off the head, or
    b) chop off a finger by mistake

I have only "done" one chicken so far and the "killing cone then slit neck," seemed painless and as humane as possible, so that is what I'll do next time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've tried several different methods, chopping, yanking, pithing & slicing, & have settled on the neck slice as the method that works best for me & my birds. Chopping was too unsure & resulted in headless birds flapping & flopping on the ground. The same went for yanking, plus sometimes the whole head got yanked off which didn't seem humane. Pithing didn't have a certain result, I couldn't be sure the bird died instantly. But with slicing the birds stayed in one place (in the cone or just hanging from their tied-together feet) and I knew they were dead after the first deep cut, but their hearts continue beating reflexively so they bleed out more thoroughly.

I wish you great success with your meat bird endeavor!

5. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I prefer slicing. It seems like the cleanest and most humane way to go about it. I think the previous poster kind of mentioned this but before I started processing my own birds, I was looking for someone else to do it. I found one woman who wouldn't take the time to do just 2 for me but told me the method I should try was to hold them by the feet, put their had on the ground, gently step on the head and yank up on the feet and the head would pop right off. I guess any method that separates the head from the body reallh quickly, would be humane. But that method just didn't feel right to me.

6. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I used to pop the neck, then slit and pop into a cone but now use hedgeclippers. I put one foot on the body and within seconds, the job is done.

7. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Chop. One quick wack and it's done.

8. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I've tried several methods. For me, a quick, humane death is best. For me it's the

[​IMG]

9. LeghornJosh

LeghornJosh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Ok i heard from an old farmer once that if you slit the neck and let them bleed out that the meat will taste better. Something about the "shock" to the body that comes with the axe swing? Or is it that the blood will almost all be pumped out?

Thanks for the responses guys! Anyone know where you can get those cones for less that 45-60bucks?

10. Cedar Creek Lofts

Cedar Creek Lofts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    Oregon
    Slicing vs. Chopping.

Slicing is the preferred method, due to the heart continuing to beat and more blood is pumped out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by