Chop their heads off or slit their throats

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mjsparky, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mjsparky

mjsparky New Egg

Dec 18, 2009
    I'm killing all the roosters in our flock, is there any advantage to either method. I'm inclined to chop off their heads unless this is a bad idea. Any thoughts?

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I always have trouble trying to cut the head off even with a sharp knife. I might try slitting next time since that's what I basically end up doing anyway. [​IMG]

3. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    There is tons of info about this on the meat board. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Nancy

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are a lot of different methods. Chopping heads, slitting throats especially using a killing cone, putting heads under a broomstick and pulling to break the neck. Some have a certain advantages over others but I think the best one for you is the one that you think you can do and be sure and certain about it.

I grew up using an ax to chop wood and kill chickens for processing so I am comfortable I can be sure with that method. It does require some strength to swing the ax with one hand and some familiarity to get a clean hit. A sharp hatchet might work better for some people as it would require less strength. But the other methods work too.

5. Galaxiedriver

Galaxiedriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Mid Missouri
    A sharp hatchet is instantaneous. Be ready for the flopping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by