Christmas baby hatched!!

Garden Gal

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Virginia
Three weeks ago, Champagne, a beautiful barn-yard mix hen I hatched from eggs purchased on Ebay went broody on me. I decided "what the heck" and shoved five more eggs under her the day she decided she wanted to be a momma. At week one candleing I tossed three; at week two, I tossed two more - leaving her one egg. Low and behold, I went out this morning to a fuzzy little yellow chick!!! SOOO CUTE!!!! I took mom and baby along with the nesting box and set them in the brooder, then set up a heat lamp at one end. (The coop is insulated but not heated). When I came back a few hours later the baby had gotten out of the box and was stuck behind it cheeping! He was a bit cold so I shoved him back under momma and removed the front lip from the nesting box (duhh!!!). I'm going to rearrange things so there is less wandering room inside the brooder box so he can't get lost again! He is soooooo very cute peaking out from mom's wing!!! I'll post a picture later. Hopefully "he" is a she and I'll name her either Noel or Holly. HO!Ho!Ho! A Christmas chick! OH! Plus two hens on the "younger" side of my coop started laying today as well. It's been a busy day in the coop!
big_smile.png

I am hoping you are right! Do new, first time momma's ever drop the ball in regard to taking the babies to food or water?

My camera is acting up but I'm hoping my DH can help me figure out the issue tomorrow. So far, mom and baby are doing great, and so, so cute together!! I just love watching the little one squeezing herself up under momma! :)

Back
Top Bottom