Christmas came early this year - courtesy of South African Breweries

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sumi, Oct 5, 2013.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We came across this happy scene on the Port Alfred to East London Road (South Africa) today. An SAB delivery truck (lorry?) lost most of it's trailer and quite a load of beer. The ecstatic locals were only too happy to help clean up the mess. The last pic is of the driver of the truck and the cause of all the trouble: a flat tyre.

We have a saying in SA: When it rains porridge, dish up! I guess the same goes for when it rains beer... [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That's funny, like the picture with the police car. We've never had anything that interesting wreck around here, all I remember is a pie truck (did get a couple of cherry pies out of that one when they gave them away), and a potato truck.

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Wow! At least it didn't go to waste, lol.

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

That's hilarious (but not so much for the poor driver)

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Oh my gosh, that's hysterical! [​IMG] Can't pass this up, they are saying!!

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Something similar happened near where I lived in California. It wasn't nearly as dramatic though. A load of walnuts got spilled along a very busy highway shortly before Christmas. I drove by the scene but at the time I did not know what had happened. All I saw was a bunch of people from elderly grandmothers to young kids picking up something alongside the road. It reminded me of a bunch of chickens busily pecking in a barnyard. Several days later and quite by chance I learned that a friend of mine was hauling walnuts and the side of the trailer broke dumping the load alongside the road. He had gone back later with another trailer to retrieve what he could but he couldn't find a single walnut. He could not imagine what had happened to them until I told him that his walnuts were by now in Christmas cookies and fruitcakes. I told him to cheer up. They had gone for a good cause.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We drove past the scene again 3 days later and all that was left was a pile of broken glass. The bottles can be returned for deposit and even the crates were worth something, so the cleaning crew did well. I said to the driver as I left "You made a lot of people very happy today!" He just laughed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by