Christmas Cards for SOLDIERS

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Marlinchaser, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Got this e-mail this, and think it is a good Idea, I know there are other places to send cards to soldiers, but thought this could be a good place to start.

When you are making out your Christmas card list this year,

please include the following:
    A Recovering American soldier
    c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
    Washington,D.C. 20307-5001

If you approve of the idea, please pass it on to your e-mail list

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I know I will put that address on my list. [​IMG]

3. BlueDevilGirl67

BlueDevilGirl67 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2007
    Central NC
    I know I will have a few extra so that address will defintely be on my list.

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    It's a good idea, but do you know for sure that the cards will be delivered to someone and not just end up in a mail bag somewhere? Maybe I'll send mine by certified mail. [​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    They should be delivered to the hospital, and will be given out to those that donot get mail around the holidays. At least that is the way it is spose to work.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'll be sure to send a couple, I don't generally send out very many cards.

7. ChixDigMe

ChixDigMe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Snow Country - NY
  8. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Good find, ChixDigMe.

9. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Wow, thanks ChixDigMe I guess I owe you one, you just saved me a couple of stamps, and the embarassment when everyone who followed my suggestion to send started getting thier cards back. I was in 20 years ago and remember cards and such being handed out to those that were not getting any mail. That of course was PRE 911 I hadn't even thought about possibly sending poisen to soldiers. Silly me thinking that our society wouldn't do stuff like that. I guess for the poor soldier that has no one it must really suck not even being able to get an annonymous card or gift. :thun

10. ChixDigMe

ChixDigMe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Snow Country - NY
    I know what you mean, Marlinchaser...things sure aren't what they used to be....

Here is some more info I got from Walter Reed Website...www.wramc.amedd.army.mil

"Instead of sending an “Any Wounded Soldier” letter or package to Walter Reed, please consider making a donation to one of the more than 300 nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping our troops and their families listed on the "America Supports You" website, www.americasupportsyou.mil

Other organizations that offer means of showing your support for our troops or assist wounded servicemembers and their families include:

http://www.usocares.org/
    http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/tooursoldiers/
    http://www.redcross.org

For individuals without computer access, your local military installation, the local National Guard or military reserve unit in your area may offer the best alternative to show your support to our returning troops and their families. Walter Reed Army Medical Center will continue to receive process and deliver all mail that is addressed to a specific individual.

As Walter Reed continues to enhance the medical care and processes for our returning service members, it must also must keep our patients and staff members safe while following Department of Defense policy. The outpouring of encouragement from the general public, corporate America and civic groups throughout the past year has been incredible. Our Warriors in Transition are amazed at the thanks and support they receive from their countrymen."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by