Christmas Cards?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Call me crazy, but I just don't understand the point. I love getting cards from people, but I just don't understand why people take the time to send out a card with nothing wirtten in it except their names. People tell me it's so that we feel "remembered", but honestly I usually just open the card, glance at it, and throw it in the pile with the rest of them. I really enjoy getting a card with a little note in it and I feel like if you are sending out too many cards that you can't take the time to write a little something, then you probably shouldn't be sending that many cards! Now, I'm still living under my parent's roof until I finish college, but when I send out christmas cards to friends I send them to those I feel I want to keep in touch with. Many of the people my family receives cards from we don't hear from all year!

I do like the cards with pictures in them, but we received a couple cards yesterday with nothing except "Dear ____, From ____". I was grumbling to my dad about it, but he didn't seem to understand [​IMG] Just seems like card giving has become such a formality these days!

I probably sound like an ungrateful person, but really I just wonder why people are so depressed over the holidays, and yet they don't see that forcing themselves to send out cards, buy gifts, etc. is probably the cause!

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well I sent out 16 cards. I started before thanksgiving and didnt get them in the mail till this past wed.

I wrote:
    Happy Holidays!
    Hope to see you this holiday season
    (or something like that..)

our names

Is that good enough for you?? [​IMG]

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL, actually I think its nice to see a little something written! I don't ask for much! [​IMG]

I usually write about the same in my cards. I just don't understand why some people send out an almost blank card!

ETA: I think Bah Humbug fits well here! I definitely get that way during the holidays. I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas LOL

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I send out a lot of cards. I love to send them, and I love to receive them. Please don't be too judgemental of me if I don't write enough. I try to pick meaningful cards with messages and/or Bible verses in them. Don't be offended by brief messages, just appreciate the thought. The people closest to me will get more writing or a phone call. I guess the rest will just have to get over it if they are offended. There are a lot more important things to worry over or be insulted by. BTW I'm not depressed by the holidays and I don't mind sending 50-60 Christmas cards and shopping for the gifts I give. Enjoy the cards for what they can be, a small bright spot in your day.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We don't get back half of what I send out. That might sound ungrateful and un-christmas like. I don't mean it that way at all. Most people we know don't even bother with cards at all. I ALWAYS pick ones I think are pretty or have a great saying. I try to send ones that fit that person. I write in some but most, I just put our names. It's the words already written that are to fit them anyway. JMO [​IMG]

6. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I guess I'm just different because usually I buy blank cards and then write stuff in myself. I've never been one to actually read the already written words in a card. I realize not everyone is like that though. [​IMG] My mom likes reading the already written words and my dad could care less about a card. I'm much more like my dad when it comes to stuff like that.

Most of the cards are addressed to my parents, but more than half of them are from people we haven't seen in over 10 or 15 years, if not longer. Some of these people I've never seen in 20 years. My mom sends out cards to everyone who sends us cards and its just soo much. It usually ends up being close to 130-150 cards sent out. That's just so much money in cards and pictures for many people who we may never see again.

Perhaps one day I'll understand, but I don't think that's likely for another ten years or so when I actually have people to send cards out to!

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    My Grandmother was like that. I kid you not, she would get about 250-300 cards a year and she would hand write something to every person she would sent a card to. She was amazing! But people just don't WRITE any more. It's easier to call or text or Email someone. [​IMG]

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'm still working on cards!! Takes me forever! I only send them to people I don't see that often like my Great Aunt, she's 98! Or the neighbor of my parents. She's like an adopted grandmother, 97! Every card I send has a little note in it about how it has be going over the last year, update on where I am in my cancer treatment, or a memory that we share.

I don't like those "Christmas letters" that are sent out in mass. Not personal enough for me.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It cou;d be worse. Instead of a brief card, you could be receiving those brag-fest awful Christmas letters.

10. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I'm just too busy, and when I'm not, I'm too lazy. I kinda like getting cards, but then I feel guilty for not sending them out, and I'm not sure how long you're supposed to hang onto them....I have cards from when I was a kid (I'm 46!), and it's interesting to see them again, since most of the senders are deceased (grandparents, etc), but....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by