1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Christmas Chicken - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KatLeventisBev, Mar 1, 2011.

1. KatLeventisBev

KatLeventisBev New Egg

Mar 1, 2011
    Greetings from South Carolina!

I became a frequent visitor of this fabulous forum on December 10, 2010, which is the night that a chicken decided to make my Christmas wreath his new home. It's such an interesting story, and I have attached a link to my blog post so you can read all the fun details. Enjoy...

katherineleventisbeverly.blogspot.com/2011/02/our-family-addition.html

This forum has been the source of many helpful tips, and I'm in need of new advice on expanding his diet. Right now we feed him scratch and grits, and I'm wondering what else I can add in to his daily feedings.

Thanks for your help, and have a great day!

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    That's a great story! I sent an email to my wife telling her and the kids they need to read it! I hope you add more to your blog.

You could of course buy some flock raiser chicken food at a feed store. You can also feed little Bernie almost anything you would eat. Some favorites are oatmeal, yogurt, pasta, scrambled eggs, meat scraps (including chicken), old salad greens(especially in winter).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Terrific story! You have re-named "her" right?

I agree with everything moetrout said about feeding her. Just avoid giving her too much salt and heavily overprocessed foods and you should be good to go.

4. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    So cute!!! And welcome from Greenville!!! I live over by Furman. So I'm confused, is it a rooster or a hen? Has it crowed or laid an egg yet? Regardless, it needs some friends!!!!! If you want to go organic for it's feed, I can't reccomend Countryside Naturals enough. Great feed, very helpful in answering any questions. They're at www.countrysidenaturals.com.

-Jackie

5. KatLeventisBev

KatLeventisBev New Egg

Mar 1, 2011
    I have loved reading all of your kind responses, and thank you so much for your advice! Little Bernie (or shall I say Bernice:)) has become quite popular around the city, and I'm so glad you all enjoyed the story. I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone, and thanks for the warm welcome!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Is she laying yet?
    ETA: Reason I ask, if she's laying you could offer her layer feed or the flockraiser with some oyster shell on the side.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thats a great story!!!! yah Bernie or should we say Bernice? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by