Christmas Chicken??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ametauss, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Finally got up the nerve to cull the roos... Thanks to all on here that advised how to go about it....

I used the tree pruners.... I think I'll get a new one with the blades on both sides... It didn't go as smooth as I had hoped... It killed them clean but didn't completely remove their heads....

We had one of the bigger boys for Christmas... I must say that he tasted a bit more like Turkey and the dark meat was really dark...

Three more are now in the freezer....

One beef with you all... You didn't warn me how bad the smell was going to be when removing their innards.... That was the worst part... I didn't cut their intestines but the smell was rank... Now I know why I didn't go into forensics... can't stand bad smells...

[​IMG]

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hahahaha,,,,the guts smelled worse then when ya plucked it?,, i hate "wet bird" smell,,lol
    instead of garden shears,, look at a pair of poultry scissors,, they work great!!.
    and GREAT WORK !! [​IMG]

the first time is the hardest, then each time after that is full of "learning", and a little easier each time.

3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    My hats off to you mister.I don't mind the sight of anything,but a rotten egg will turn my stomach faster than anything.Yes the smell is the hard part.And you oughta have a plucker.
    That's why I just pay the 2 bucks and do them in batches.It's good to know though. thumbs up Will

4. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    That's Mrs.

Hubby said this barnyard in the backyard gig was all mine and if I couldn't get someone to take the extra roos then they'd have to go another way....

I didn't really mind the whole thing, I just never did it before.... You know the first time you try anything new is a bit scary....

We plucked the birds outside and it was fine.... Not sure I'd ever do 4 at once again.... My hands were sore from the plucking....

Ann Marie

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:sorry Mrs.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by