1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Christmas,Christmas,..What about THANKSGIVING???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Up-the-Creek, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I have noticed a lot of people posting about Christmas and their anticipation of the day. My question is what about Thanksgiving? Are we going straight from Halloween into Christmas now??? Come on people let's get excited about turkey day! [​IMG]
    I would like to know what everyone is planning on cooking/baking for dinner Thursday and if you have any traditions for the day?? For example we always watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade , never miss it! Plus if weather permits we always take a hike in the woods after dinner. How bout everyone else??

2. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:I know exactly what u mean! I have looked everywhere for thanksgiving cookie cutters, but all the stores jump from Halloween strait into Christmas! It's like it just totally gets skipped!

3. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I went out last weekend to buy some Thanksgiving decorations,...well every store I went to was either sold out or they would point me to a pile of "stuff" on a shelf and say,"That's it, that's all we have left." Which I would find odd that right beside it would be loads of halloween stuff. I just don't think they bother to put out much Thanksgiving stuff anymore.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ah, I've already got Thanksgiving under control. It doesn't take much prep, since I love preparing big meals.
    Christmas takes a little bit more prep on my part. Plus, things to do ahead to make the time go faster. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Turkey with sage dressing
    Green beans with toasted almonds and butter
    Mashed taters with butter and cream cheese
    Homemade gravy
    homemade apple sauce
    Pumpkin pie
    Apple pie
    Chocolate chip cookies
    Green salad
    Champagne
    banana bread
    Football

I feel like I am forgetting something and it is NOT cranberries. [​IMG]

6. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    You're missing the cranberries. [​IMG]

I like to chip fresh berries in a food processor with an orange, add some apple cider and sugar, and some rum.

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Stuffing? [​IMG]

8. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I have been having Thanksgiving at my house for the past 5 years, so it is a fun day for me to play hostess to my Mom, who usually has all the family stuff at her house. We are having goose this year that we raised, a new Thanksgiving tradition maybe.

9. debilorrah

Quote:Nope - sage dressing right there with the turkey.

10. debilorrah

Quote:I LOVE cooking big meals for a lot of people. I am in my element, and everyone is always so impressed. Not that I am great cook - their parents never made anything but frozen meals. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by