Christmas Day Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1 Critter Camp, Jan 5, 2014.

1. 1 Critter Camp

1 Critter Camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    I purchased a pair of white silkies on Dec. 21st. The young girl who sold them to me had discarded 4 eggs out on a picnic table and the hen had two more on a the wooden floor. I placed all 6 eggs in an incubator and did not expect hatching. Then on Dec. 24 and 25th, I find an egg each day!

I placed them in the incubator also. (I know I am messing with hatching dates but I hated to leave them.) On the 24th and 25th, it dropped into the 20's that night.

I left on vacation and returned on Jan. 2nd. I have 4 embryos from the girls discarded bunch that are thriving and the one on the 25th actually lived! Its name is Chris Kringle! I am very excited!

My challenge now is to hatch the first 4 and not mess up Mr. Kringle!! They are 4 days apart in hatching!

I have been working on a mini-petting area I think I have named "CAMP CRITTER". I have two pygmy goats, a pot belly pig, two black polish chickens, two white silkies, two sizzles, a splash silkie, and two fantail pigeons which I just bought yesterday.

[​IMG]
    Pictured is PETA the pot belly pig's home... I'll work on getting picture of the pigeon roost.

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Wow! I loooove your "petting zoo" idea! How cute! And if the babies make it out okay, we wanna see!

3. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    I sure will thanks! [​IMG] Day 21 is this Saturday, Jan. 11th.

4. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Finally Day 21!!!
    One egg is pipping! I'll post pics as soon as they hatch.
    Kringle, the Christmas egg, is still developing. I candled it two days ago. Lock down for it is Tuesday.

5. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Results terrible! Day 21... The one that pipped died! It looked shrinked wrapped; I had my humidity high because of this problem before. I had it around 75%. I waited until day 22 and candled... saw movement in two, one obviously dead. I heard one of the two living chirping. I had to make a call so I opened the air sack and exposed their heads. I wrapped the egg in wet paper towels.
    I wish I could say they made it. Kringle, the egg from Dec. 25th, is still moving! But I think my hygrometer is not working! It says 50% and there is NO way; it has been measuring 70's up until today! I'm going to buy two thermometers and two hygrometers tomorrow. I am beginning to think that my trouble is due to inaccurate readings of humidity. This will be the last time I only have one instrument for reading temp. and humidity!
    I know the eggs were discarded and going to not develop anyway but when you get all the way to day 21 and they die, it is sooo upsetting!!!!
    I hope that I can post a picture of Kringle... Day 21 is Thursday.

6. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Oh, also I wanted to say that the one that died and the two that I opened, there is a think skin-like membrane that was tight around the chick, like panty hose! Is that what is called "shrink wrapped" due to low humidity! I have read and read about it and looked at pictures!

7. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Kringle is still making it! Shrink wrap vs. too sticky? I have looked at dead chicks in egg and I can't tell the difference even after reading information about the difference. Kringle is still going stronge. Today was lock down. I bought two thermometers and hygrometer, one digital. I have one saying 99 and one saying 102 degrees. After reading more about shrink wrap vs. wet chick due to high humidity, I have lowered the humidity to 70%. The digital says 52% but the glass says 70% along with the incubator reference hygrometer.
    I found this egg, Kringle, laying on the ground Christmas morning when the temp was about 25 degrees. I so much want it too hatch.
    The last 4 that were discarded as mentioned in the previous post were discarded to not be hatched. So I tried anyway. Two died in egg and one two died when I tried to assist.
    If I can not improve my too wet too dry, I plan on investing in a better incubator! I have no fan.

8. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Chick did not hatch!! When I opened the egg, there was still a nickle size yolk attached. I've decided to buy a fan for my incubator and use two thermometers and hygrometers instead of only one.
    If my hens lay any eggs this winter, I'll try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by