1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Christmas Dinner for 1....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kathryn4629, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    So I am spending Christmas alone this year for the second year in a row... Last year I was super sad about this fact and didn't decorate or make dinner. This year I have decorated the house and am feeling the Christmas cheer. But the big question is what do I make for dinner?? Obviously I am not going to make a whole turkey. I was thinking something along the line of a whole chicken, but am looking for some other ideas.

What should I make for just one person? Looking for some yummy ideas [​IMG]

Thanks so much, and I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday!

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I used to do a turkey breast on a layer of stuffing. I would do the whole meal because I liked the left overs so much. [​IMG]

I used to get sad about christmas alone then I started doing volunteer work christmas day and/or volunteering to work so that people with kids could get the day off. It felt a little better then.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    How bout those Cornish Game hens? Those are really good.
    Barring that, you can come to my house for dinner. [​IMG]

4. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Thanks for the input guys!

I think I might go with a cornish game hen, they are so tasty! You can stuff a cornish can't you? I was thinking of maybe stuffing it with cous cous (sp?)

At least the chickens got a yummy breakfast today. Oatmeat with carrots and scrambled eggs and sprouts [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We celebrated Christmas yesterday since my DH is working today through Monday. We were supposed to have a brisket, cooked on the grill, but DH wasn't feeling all that hot, so we had take and bake pizza instead. Saving the brisket for his next round of days off.

So long as I can be with my animals and the one person that means more to me than life itself, I wouldn't have cared if we ate a can of beans.

Merry Christmas Kathryn. [​IMG]

6. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

If it was just me, Id grill up the biggest, fattest rib eye steak I could find and fry some home fries..maybe a salad. Merry Christmas [​IMG]

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I've spent lots alone. Even though I had invitations, I was far from my family and didn't feel like being the orphan at somebody else's Christmas. The dogs and I always had fun going for a walk with our jingle bells on and opening up our gifts in the morning. My most memorable Christmas dinner was a big t-bone steak I was going to grill but when I started up my grill, there was a huge amt of smoke and a bunch of mice ran out onto the snow. So much for THEIR Christmas. I think I ended up frying the steak. With enough wine it was A-OK.
    I vote for something very fancy that you rarely get to have, lobster or the cornish rock previously mentioned. Relax and enjoy not having to deal with the craziness [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I usually do the Cornish game hen dinner, for the past.....well, more than 10 years. Cous cous dressing sound wonderful!

This year, I am making a scrambled egg mixture, with my own duck eggs! Cous cous on the side, too.

I will put apple cider in a crock pot, adding mulling spices, and let that simmer all day long. Nice warm cups of mulled apple cider, mmmmmmm.

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Head on down to Arkansas. We'll PIG OUT!! [​IMG]

10. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I would do a fettucine alfredo with, clams, shrimp, mussels. A nice pig ol piece of garlic bread. If I had the money, I'd a a lobster for a starter :0)
    I hope you have a geat Christmas day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by